Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Have you ever been denied a dive?
Scuba-Stu - 5/30/2014 12:08 PM
Category: General
Replies: 7

Just curious, Has anyone ever been denied diving by a charter for the organization they were certified through? If so where did this happen and what was the reasoning behind their denial.
Subscribed
freddyray - 5/30/2014 1:54 PM
I have never. I found it interesting that my C card which by Padi standards limits me to 60 ft (at the time, I have since gotten more training) qualified me to dive to 100 ft in the carribean. (sp? )
Eric_R - 5/31/2014 4:15 AM
No, but I have seen anywhere from no checking of logbooks to full water tank testing of skills.
LatitudeAdjustment - 5/31/2014 9:53 AM
From freddyray: I found it interesting that my C card which by Padi standards limits me to 60 ft

My daughter when she was using her OW cert was told by DM’s that after watching her in the water they would let her do advanced dives with them so it’s really up to the dive op and crew which is another reason to not be an ass and try to BS them.

If they question your cert just ask for a check out dive, most resorts do it anyhow before turning you loose on their bread and butter reefs. If you crash into things then they dump you on a dead reef!
Subscribed
RAWalker - 5/31/2014 6:09 PM
An OW c-card is all the training required to dive to the limits of recreational diving 130’. The 60’ & 100’ limits are suggestions of conservatism until you gain either experience or training. Either will give you the knowledge of gas management and your own personal requirements necessary consider the safety of a given dive profile for your abilities. DIVE WITHIN YOUR LIMITS!
Subscribed
m_grieco - 5/31/2014 8:33 PM
When in Hawaii, a charter denied my wife diving the backwall of Molokini Crater due to not having their minimum suggested dives (they wanted 25 dives, I believe she had 18 or so at the time and just completed her advanced open water certification while diving in Kona). She was great though and let me dive that morning without her, but honestly, after completing that dive, I didn’t see what the big deal was...yes there was current, but all we did was drift along the wall between 80 and 100 feet...then swam away from the wall into the blue for about 100 feet or so (to prevent the boat from being pushed into the rocks), was a super easy dive. I hit Molokini on a bad day though anyway so she really didn’t miss much, none of the usual big creatures cruising out in the blue.
Subscribed
lerpy - 6/03/2014 1:27 PM
I have never been denied a dive, but I found it interesting that a dive shop I went into wanted to see qualifications before they would talk gear to me. Got chatting to the owner and he said there have been issues of people asking aout gear and buying it, and then using it unqualified, injury incures, and it comes back on the shop. That was something I have never seen before or since.
Subscribed
Scuba-Stu - 6/03/2014 1:37 PM
The shop I was certified through wouldn’t sell you more than the basics unless you could show the card. I actually think it’s a smart policy. But if somebody wants the gear they will fimd someone to sell it to them.