Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

First Dive of 2014
lerpy - 1/01/2014 6:33 PM
Category: General
Replies: 7

Water temp, 2 Celsius, air temp, -20 Celsius, total dive time 20 min. First dive in a dry suit, awesome!! Very happy to have a dry suit finally, there will be some learning and some tweaks like dry gloves, but very happy and looking forward to a much longer dive season.
Subscribed
UWnewbee - 1/01/2014 11:18 PM
congratz and good luck and rule #1 never let your feet get above your head!!
Subscribed
lerpy - 1/02/2014 5:42 AM
Dana, I was surprised that I did not have that issue really which was great, I was worried about that. The suit I got is very tappered at the ankle to apparently try and combat the issue of air in the ankles. I also notice that you can actualy feel the air moving around the suit so was aware on my body position if I felt the air moving to my feet.

Ray, I might be getting soft, I definately need the gloves LOL. Finger tips still a little tender, but then we are -33 here today plus wind. Looks like we are getting a real Canadian winter here for the first time in a few years.
Subscribed
WarmWaterTurner - 1/02/2014 7:15 AM
Yup, dry suits are a game changer. No more off season! As to the gloves, I just use a 3mm. I tried the dry gloves but they were more trouble (to me) than they were worth. I also didnt like the 5mm because I lost to much dexterity and since the cold never really bothers my hands that much - I just stayed with the 3’s.

Enjoy year round diving!
Eric_R - 1/03/2014 8:48 AM
Congrats on the new dry suit. Looks like there will be plenty of ice for ice diving this winter.
Subscribed
UWnewbee - 1/04/2014 9:41 PM
Matt, good to hear that all went well on the dive!!
Subscribed
oceanfloor - 1/06/2014 9:17 PM
Drysuit is great but, my face felt like I stuck it in a bucket of ice and held it there for 60 minutes!! Ouch!!