Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Manatee Harassment in Florida
Plang - 2/24/2008 6:13 PM
Category: General
Replies: 2

Film of manatee harassment in Kings Bay Crystal Beach, Florida. There are several movies on youtube supporting the harrasment. Here is a starter to check out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVr2G5enWiQ
spider - 2/25/2008 12:07 PM
It is a shame that the people who are supposed to be helping to raise awareness to the manatees` perils are participating in the unnecessary harassment of these beautiful animals. Thanks for the link to the video - hopefully reports like these will help raise the public`s awareness to the types of tour operators to avoid.
dalehall - 3/07/2008 2:04 PM
Thanks for the link. Did you read in the comments below the video? They actually named one of the Crystal River Ops as one of the ones trying to keep them from filming. They also named one of the Capt`s that rents boats and takes people out. We were actually told about him by the Op we were out with 2 weeks ago. They said he ran a very questionable operation. After seeing the amount of people in the Main Spring on President`s Day Sunday, I think they really do need to limit the number of people out there at any given time.

Now, I admit, I love getting in the water with manatees and being around them. So, as much as I agree with protecting them and everything, I love to get up close and personal with them also. That being said, I am very careful around them and I follow EVERY rule that was briefed to us prior to us getting there. There needs to be a happy medium here if they are going to let anyone get in the water the manatees. Limit the amount of people and operators in Crystal River, add more patrols, stiffer punishment for violators and revocation of permits for operators that allow customers to harrass the manatees. Even charge more money for the privilege to swim with them. Maybe that would weed out some of the trash also. Something needs to be done, short of making them off-limits to all human contact.

I adopted a manatee in Blue Springs to try and help the effort. If you would like to help also, please go to www.savethemanatee.org

**D**