Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Best Dive Boat - Characteristics of the perfect boat for scuba diving
Greg - 4/25/2013 1:17 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 19

What is the perfect dive boat? Are there certain characteristics that the best dive boat should have? What boat manufactures make the perfect dive boat? What "must have" equipment should the perfect dive boat have?

dontdiveenuf - 4/25/2013 2:19 PM
Are we talking Live-Aboard or Day Trip? Or are you looking for universal attributes that will pertain to both?
Eric_R - 4/25/2013 7:13 PM
I could live on any of these. I’m a diver after all.LOL
Subscribed
Greg - 4/25/2013 8:05 PM
I’m talking day trip dive boats. Not big daddy boats with rooms and a galley.
btw2459 - 4/26/2013 3:46 AM
The boat its self isn’t that important. It’s the crew and how they make it a safe and enjoyable trip for the divers.
LatitudeAdjustment - 4/26/2013 5:07 AM
Some are both, the Truth does one day trips but is a liveaboard. What I love about that boat is the heat from the engine and compressor is vented thru the shower/changing room so after diving in that chilly Pacific water you can warm back up and hang your wetsuit in there to dry :)

All dive boats need rinse tanks for mask and camera gear. At least a hose for a quick shower. Dry storage area. Shade. Water to drink, a cooler for what you brought along, a sign saying if you didn’t put in the cooler it’s not yours!
Subscribed
Greg - 4/26/2013 7:18 AM
What about deck space...how much is comfortable for X number of divers?
What about a dive platform on the back...with step through access?
Any ladders better than others?
Does a twin hull/catamaran style help with balance so divers aren’t bouncing everywhere while gearing up?
What about a cabin or bathroom on a day trip dive boat?
Are certain types of tank holders better than others?
Jacque - 4/26/2013 11:55 AM
I agree with btw2459...

I have been on some amazing dives from some pretty run-down boats. While I think it is more comfortable to have plenty of deck space, tank holders for multiple tanks per diver, fresh water showers, it is so much more about the crew than the actual space. I can have a perfectly wonderful time from a crappy boat.
dontdiveenuf - 4/26/2013 12:15 PM
So one property of the ’perfect dive boat’ includes "an AWESOME crew." But what other properties should our dream boat have?

Personally, I’d like one that floats! :-)

Greg, I think I speak for all of us when I say that we’re counting on you, once we have all of the features defined, that you’ll be contacting all of the various boat manufacturers for a Request for Bid to get the beast built, right? And DiveBuddy members will be able to charter it at a significantly reduced rate? :-)
bjones - 4/26/2013 12:28 PM
Personally I like catamarans because of the stability and room. However, I have also had a good time doing a backward roll of the edge of a small boat with no cover.

Turks and Caicos
dontdiveenuf - 4/26/2013 1:49 PM
Be sure to post before and after pics, so we can see how it’s done!
LatitudeAdjustment - 4/27/2013 6:08 AM
"What about deck space...how much is comfortable for X number of divers?"

I prefer 6 packs, not for the space but your vote on where to dive counts more

"What about a dive platform on the back...with step through access?"

That’s a given, with no platform and a ladder over the side it’s a fishing boat, not a dive boat.

"Any ladders better than others?"

In smooth conditions any ladder will work but when it’s rough you don’t want to be near a tossing boat so a long ladder with a single pole so you can come up with your fins on is a plus.

"Does a twin hull/catamaran style help with balance so divers aren’t bouncing everywhere while gearing up?"

Yes, I sure miss the old Nekton boats, nice and stable with stairs up to the dive deck.

"What about a cabin or bathroom on a day trip dive boat?"

Shade is a must, cabins are nice in cooler areas to warm up during the SI. If it’s a long commute to the dive site then a head is a must although I’ve been on boats where you needed to jump in to go :(

"Are certain types of tank holders better than others?"

Nothing beats the old bungee cord, the spring loaded plastic tank holders are not as fool proof. Both need a hole to drop the tank into to work properly.
Subscribed
Greg - 4/29/2013 10:15 AM
Here is some good advice from Bob Halstead on dive boats:

divebuddy.com/blog.aspx?BlogID=11138
Subscribed
Greg - 4/30/2013 11:21 AM
Ok, check out the following photo and let me know if it’s the Perfect Dive Boat:

Subscribed
Greg - 5/03/2013 11:22 AM
Akuasport in Puerto Rico has dive boat that matches most of the requirements of the perfect dive boat:

divebuddy.com/photo.aspx?PicID=67384

Forward console, large wide deck, good seats with tank holders, hard-top cover, walk-through transom.

I especially like how their walk-through platform has rails to hold onto, nice addition!
Subscribed
Akuasport - 5/03/2013 2:13 PM
I will add extra photo for divebuudy, is brand new catmaran build by us, Instructors and USCG captain, you will definitly love dive catamarans, pleanty space, runs very smooth, fast up to 28knots full load, very safe and no fumes with fourstroke engines and no noice.
Subscribed
Greg - 5/03/2013 6:17 PM
Ok, this really is the perfect dive boat!

divebuddy.com/photo.aspx?PicID=67390

I didn’t notice that it was a catamaran style from the initial photos Akuasport posted. They have all the features of the perfect dive boat now.
tshark - 5/07/2013 11:49 AM
That boat is only perfect in warm tropical areas when not raining. You need a wind screen or plastic windows to keep divers warm when the boat is in motion/ raining / or colder weather.
Subscribed
Greg - 5/14/2013 1:59 PM
Check out Catamaran Coaches Fish/Dive boat:

catamarancoaches.com/fishingdiving/

I like how it has the step down to water level.