Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

U.S. mainland scuba diving resorts/hotels
Greg - 4/25/2013 1:00 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 5

Why aren’t there more resorts/hotels in the U.S. mainland that cater to scuba divers. There are a couple in Florida that I know of (Amy Slates Amoray, Looe Key Reef Resort). Are there any in North Carolina (ship wreck alley), or California?

OR do most scuba divers want to travel abroad for a dive vacation?
dontdiveenuf - 4/25/2013 2:21 PM
Most of the hotels on Catalina Island cater to divers - some have lockers and caddys to tote your gear.
Subscribed
Rich-D-Fish - 4/25/2013 6:47 PM
There is a new resort here in California called Terranea Resort in Rancho Palos Verdes. The dive site is called "Old Marineland." I think it is just a matter of time before they start catering to divers. It is one of the best dive sites in California, though subject to sometimes rough shore conditions and low viz. On any given weekend you might see 20-50 divers there. I dive there during week mornings and nights too. The resort rents kayaks off their beach. I hope a PADI dive center will be next. I think the only reason it hasn’t happened yet it because the site is only divable probably half the weekends of the year. Difficult to plan a business with that uncertaintly. But there are enough out-of-work dive instructors in the LA area that I can’t see why someone doesn’t approach the resort owners and place themselves on call to any guests requesting a guided tour for $. All the resort would need to do to make it VERY accessible is add a portable dock on wheels, or clear out some of the rocks to make an easy entry spot. Here is a link to the resort: www.terranea.com It is truly a beautiful place to visit. Pacific Wilderness Dive shop is only 15 minutes away for air fills. But as a local, when I suggest to my wife that we stay there and dive for a mini vacation....I get a crazy look. She would rather spend $2,000 more for airfare to Hawaii to really get away from work.
LatitudeAdjustment - 4/26/2013 5:19 AM
Olympus in NC has a dive lodge, there is a kitchen so you can cook your own meals but not really a resort and finding breakfast in town before the boat leaves is a problem.

Calling "Looe Key Reef Resort" a resort is a stretch too, they don’t serve breakfast. You can get coffee at the gas station next door. It’s a motel next to a dive shop and bar that serves meals we’ve heard. We got tired of waiting for the waiter and left.

There are some high end resorts in the Keys with dive ops on the grounds.

The best all inclusive in the Keys would actually be the liveaboard Spree
Subscribed
Greg - 4/26/2013 7:26 AM
From LatitudeAdjustment: The best all inclusive in the Keys would actually be the liveaboard Spree

At $1630 for 4 days - 3 nights for an awesome trip on the Spree...that’s a bit out of budget for many divers. I am more interested in land based operations that are more affordable. The Olympus dive center is cool, but that’s basically a bed for the night with diving during the day. I’ve been there and there isn’t much else to walk to. And you’re right, breakfast is a problem.

Related Content