Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Diving with bone fracture
CallieJax - 3/19/2013 1:01 PM
Category: Health & Safety
Replies: 7

I fractured my tibia in December and it has had a hard time healing. I have been cleared for all activities while it heals but my ortho has no idea if diving will affect it. Does anyone have any idea on this? I want to go dive in two weeks and we will going to between 150 feet and 200 feet.
WarmWaterTurner - 3/19/2013 1:36 PM
Give DAN a call. I’m sure they have done some bone studies.
Green_Achers - 3/19/2013 5:14 PM
I’d be surprised if the depth was an issue (but my opinion holds no weight on the subject)... but I have to ask on the surface, you’ll be lugging how many extra pounds on that newly fused limb?
Subscribed
Greg - 3/20/2013 4:49 AM
From DAN:

Three factors can affect your decision to return to diving: the acute loss of function, residual deficits and any additional risk of decompression illness (DCI).

Pain and acute loss of function impedes your ability to dive safely. Acute pain serves an important function since it limits the use of that limb to allow healing and prevent further injury. Thus, your should not dive with an acute fracture. Furthermore, swelling and changes in blood flow could impair the efficient release of nitrogen stored in the injured tissues, possibly increasing the risk of DCI.

Symptoms caused by the injury, such as pain and numbness, burning, itching or tingling could add diagnostic confusion if DCI is being investigated. However, after satisfactorily healing and rehabilitation and approval by the orthopedic surgeon, you can resume diving. Once complete healing has occurred, there is little or no evidence to suggest a higher risk of DCI.

If a diver experiences persistent pain, numbness or weakness, a dive physician should evaluate the diver’s condition before any resumption of diving. If the diver returns to diving, the orthopedic surgeon must carefully document the diver’s neurological, vascular and functional deficits. In many chronic pain states, no further injury occurs, and many studies report that, with increasing activity, subjects show improvement of overall function and a reduction in chronic pain.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

DAN referral physician James Chimiak, M.D. is Chief of Anesthesiology at the Naval Hospital in Camp Lejeune, N.C., a Navy Diving Medical Officer and a Hyperbaric Medicine Adviser.
dontdiveenuf - 3/20/2013 5:23 AM
Seems like a pretty aggressive first set of dives if they’re going to be in 150’+ range as you indicated, but it sounds like you’re a tec or rec/tec diver and skilled with mixed gases? Not sure how mixed gases would effect things; perhaps a plan for a few dives that aren’t quite so deep first, maybe in the 90-100’ range, to see how things go?
Subscribed
CallieJax - 3/20/2013 8:38 AM
Thanks for all the info. Going to keep it in the 85’ to 95’ range. Dr has cleared me for all activuties and when i inquired about diving yesterday he says no problem.
dontdiveenuf - 3/22/2013 10:01 AM
Have a great time, and post some pictures when you get back!!
Subscribed
CallieJax - 3/22/2013 10:43 AM
That I will. Pictures to come.