Weirdest Sea Creature You’ve Eaten?
badintexas - 1/09/2013 8:24 AM
Category: General
Replies: 10

What is the weirdest sea creature you’ve eaten and how was it prepared? Would you have it again or was it a one time thing?
Eve - 1/09/2013 8:36 AM
Is eel considered weird?
WarmWaterTurner - 1/09/2013 1:33 PM
Loinfish ceviche in Belize during a surface interval. Divemaster made it fresh on the back of the boat. It was delicious!
j1mbr0wn - 1/09/2013 1:37 PM
Maybe it depends on your definition of weird. Eel, razor clams, oysters, sea urchin, and perhaps caviar (fish eggs) are all pretty weird, I guess. Orange roughy and monkfish are pretty weird looking fish. So are swordfish, come to think of it. Some might think squid or octopus are weird. And who was the first person that picked up a lobster or crab and said "Hmm, this looks tasty!"?

Anyway, I’ve eaten all of those (no sea cucumber yet, but probably some day.)
LatitudeAdjustment - 1/10/2013 7:54 AM
Atlantic Lionfish is great cooked a lot of different ways and we can only hope we overfish them :)

Had raw sea urchin on a trip and tried NJ urchin when I got back, deffinetly not the same thing!
Greg - 1/10/2013 8:11 AM
From j1mbr0wn: Maybe it depends on your definition of weird. Eel, razor clams, oysters, sea urchin, and perhaps caviar (fish eggs) are all pretty weird, I guess. Orange roughy and monkfish are pretty weird looking fish. So are swordfish, come to think of it. Some might think squid or octopus are weird. And who was the first person that picked up a lobster or crab and said "Hmm, this looks tasty!"? Anyway, I’ve eaten all of those (no sea cucumber yet, but probably some day.)...
Man, do you eat everything you see while on a dive? :). I also thought the same thing about a lobster!
Greg - 1/10/2013 8:12 AM
From LatitudeAdjustment: Atlantic Lionfish is great cooked a lot of different ways and we can only hope we overfish them :) Had raw sea urchin on a trip and tried NJ urchin when I got back, deffinetly not the same thing!...
What is a NJ urchin?
WarmWaterTurner - 1/10/2013 8:24 AM
Actually, now that I think about it a little more - my hat goes off to the first guy or gal that ever ate an oyster. Its got to be about the nastiest looking thing in the water! Pop that shell open and think....Man, thats got to be yummy :).
Rich-D-Fish - 1/11/2013 8:20 AM
I’ve been offered raw scallop and urchin after a dive on a boat, but I’ve only been adventurous to try the scallop. Surprisingly tender and tasty I have to say. But the urchin looked just too nasty to try.
LatitudeAdjustment - 1/14/2013 5:26 AM
From Greg: What is a NJ urchin...
Not as pretty as the California ones, not as interesting as the decorators under the Blue Heron Bridge and not as tasty as the Caribbean ones!

Yeap, the first caveman to eat an oyster, mussel or clam must have been really hungry. He probably saw a seagull eat one and figured it wouldn’t kill him. I like my oysters breaded :)
Subscribed
Cas - 7/19/2013 8:41 PM
I ate fugu while stationed in Japan. Crazy thing is I didn’t know that’s what it was until after the fact.