Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Advice on BCD Purchase
BC - 12/27/2012 7:42 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 8

Okay...I need recommendations on the RIGHT BCD for me. I have looked at the oceanic probe hlc and the Tulsa liberator sigma, but I would like something that can be easy to travel with and that is weight intergrated.
Any and all recommendations would be welcomed.
SeaGoat - 12/27/2012 9:46 PM
Without knowing you, I can’t recommend the right BC but if you have a good LDS, they should be able to help you meet your needs. I really like my Zeagle and I find that back-inflated BCs tend to smoosh into my luggage more easily than the jacket style ones.

You also want to consider how much weight you usually wear and of course that will depend a lot on what type of suit you will be wearing at your destination. Sometimes travel BCs have smaller bladders and therefore less lift.

Finally, don’t forget to check for features like pockets, places to attach stuff, etc.

There should be some good sales this time of year. Happy hunting.
weitodive - 12/27/2012 9:46 PM
I really like zeagles. Made in USA and their customer service is second to none. What you kinda have to look at is what your needs are and how much diving you will do. If you are doing a lot of diving, a "travel" bcd would not be recommended since they generally less durable to give you the weight advantage. Also what’s your preference of back inflate vs jacket style, if you haven’t tried back inflate, I at least recommend you try one on a few dives. There are so many options out there. Basic tropical weather bcd for travel, I would recommend either a scubapro light hawk or an aqualung Zuma. You can sometimes find them used for around 200. I actually just sold my Zuma cause I just ha a baby and have way too many bcd’s as is (I am an instructor). It went with me to Fiji and my friends were surprised at how light it was. You also have the option of going a traditional jacket style with the scubapro geo. ultimately, what I would recommend is go try them on. Rent them if they allow it and them make the purchase. Even time in the pool is better than buying one without trying it.
DiveBuddyChgo - 12/28/2012 2:59 AM
Myself for a lite compact BC. I would opt for a fiberglass backplate, harness straps with a small wing bladder. For travel I use a SS plate so I don’t need to wear any extra weights at all in the tropical warm waters. If I need any additional weight I just use a nylon roll up belt. So each thier own.
LatitudeAdjustment - 12/28/2012 8:43 AM
Or you could follow the advice often given on another board, buy the best BC money can buy, then sell it here for half price to some lucky diver here and buy a Back Plate and Wing (BP&W) set-up :)

The best BCD depends on the diving you are doing and where you plan to go with your diving.

I’ve settled on a stainless steel BP and 33 pound lift wing for cold water and a plastic BP and 22 pound lift wing for travel. I have weight/gear pockets I can move to whatever BP I’m using. I can’t use the SS BP on travel with a steel tank, I won’t have any ditchable weight.

I once had to borrow a ScubaPro BCD, the pockets didn’t hold all of the crap I usually carry so be sure to check everything, not just the fit. Some BCD’s come with a shorter inflator hose, if you are using a combo 2nd you’ll need a longer hose so you can turn your head to the right but those hoses can be changed, just check before you need it!
RAWalker - 12/28/2012 12:53 PM
I’m a BP&W diver for many years now ad I agree there is no better BC from a performance standpoint than a BP&W that is properly set up for an individual diver. That said... there are many times it just doesn’t fit the need of the diver.

First is a new diver that hasn’t yet tweaked and tuned for optimal buoyancy. A standard jacket style BC w/integrated weighting allows them to feel difference they make in where they place weights with limited options. This actually helps in the future if they switch over to BP&W with greater weighting choices. It allows them to better access the changes they make in their weighting systems choices and it’s effect on their buoyancy.

Another place that a BP&W may not be optimal is in a travel rig where size and weight is a consideration. Many BP&W user opt for a light weight BP with a minimal lift wing. IMHO wings of less than 30 lbs lift leave little margin for the demands of a diver as a buddy in a rescue scenario and should be avoided. Many BCD manufacturers have models that meet the demands of travel yet have respectable lift figures in a back inflate design that are better suited for the situation.
CallieJax - 12/29/2012 11:16 AM
I use the Zeagl cout real basic and travels well. Like everyone has said here though you to find what is best for you and the diving you are doing. Your LDS shoul be able to help with this.
CallieJax - 12/29/2012 11:17 AM
From CallieFallon: I use the Zeagl cout real basic and travels well. Like everyone has said here though you to find what is best for you and the diving you are doing. Your LDS shoul be able to help with this....
Zeagle Scout
DannyF - 1/03/2013 5:30 PM
I use a Sherwood Tortuga. Part of the reason I chose it was for travel. I am happy with it.