Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

What is the proper way to get the attention of a spear fisherman?
Greg - 7/13/2006 8:18 PM
Replies: 8

I came up on some divers spear fishing the other day. They were facing the opposite way and didn`t see me. I wanted to alert them to my presence so they didn`t accidentally shot towards me. I went up and tapped one guy on the shoulder and he got frightened and spun around quickly. Luckily his spear gun didn`t miss fire or that would have been a good (but painful) story to tell. What is the right way to get their attention? Maybe bank on your tank?
Spearfish - 7/17/2006 7:29 PM
The tank bang would surely work the best but may be unwelcome (hence the word hunting)you should try to swim to the front of the diver and get his attention.
love2dive - 12/10/2006 11:30 AM
why dont you wear yellow its an easily spotted colour! you can maybe paint your cylinder or get fins and a wetsuit although you can see the fins alot better than the wet suit!
JD - 1/14/2007 11:46 PM
Hi, I tend to agree with "spearfish". I guess not directly in front but front and side. Dont necessarily trust those rubbers....ouch!
NWKatShark - 7/04/2007 11:18 AM
I`d have to say tank bang. The LAST thing I`d want is to get anywhere within the frontal 180 degrees of a loaded gun. Anytime I`m setting up for a shot, I take a second to scan the entire 180 degrees to see what`s there in case I get a ricoche. Rare, but it does happen. I value my gas and down time. The last thing I want to do is to have to haul you back on my stringer.
reefroamer1 - 9/04/2007 4:45 PM
As a spearfisher I can tell you it would not be wise to come tap me on the shoulder especially if I have alrady shot a couple of fish as in the moment I may think you are a shark sniffing around and shoot you. Bang on your tank or get a scubaduck anything that makes noise is best to get our attention. Have a great day, Randi
Spearo - 8/18/2008 10:27 PM

Hi Greg, love your site!

1.If you’re going in and know spear fishing is going on try another spot.

2. If you’re alredy in and you notice spear fishing try to go the other way.

3.If you’re already in and notice spear fishing around you and YOU HAVE TO go their way..try to get around not too close or high over in a way that you are very visible to them. When we’re in the "hunting mode" we are looking for small movements , shadows etc. a diver is hard to miss. In general..under good vis. and at spear range we’re all easy to spot (close range) and at longer range the air gives up your location. One thing you don’t want to do is tap someone from behind or make tank noices only to show your presence. Someone with hunting experience close to none spearo will just go the other way to try to avoid regulars.

4.If you’re just diving in low vis. conditions around other spear fisherman you are asking for it. Best thing to do before going in is to make sure all divers and spearos know where they should go in reference to the site to try to avoid each other. In a case like this adjusting the length of the line to the vis. range works gret for own protection/safety, something that should be agree on and checked topside by all hunting members before going in.
Subscribed
DanM - 1/31/2009 10:55 AM
i spearfish, i run across divers, dive off a boat with others who don’t spearfish, i never take some half-assed blind shot at something. there should be no fear about being shot. most people try and take good shots on fish once they determine it is legal size, and the kind of fish they want. i would never approach any diver and just tap them on the soulder either, just swim around so you will get into there view at a distance to get there attention. if you are worried for any reason then swim the other way. ive had people take pictures and while i was spearfishing, we all share the ocean, some of us like to hunt in it while other like to take pics and video. i love all aspects of diving, currently training twards tech diving to see more, and incorporate spearfishing also. whatever you do when diving enjoy it, it’s all fun and exciting. later, Dan
Subscribed
Greg - 10/25/2013 6:41 AM
Here’s a good article on pole spear fishing: http://www.divebuddy.com/forum/31009/pole-spear-fishing-newbies/