Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

IT jobs in scuba industry
Greg - 7/20/2012 6:25 AM
Category: Jobs
Replies: 5

What kind of IT jobs are available in the scuba industry? Does anyone know of a good place to find a list of companies that provide marine/ocean services?

We are all scuba divers here and I’m sure many of us are computer nerds. It would be great to discuss ways to merge those two passions. Non-profit organizations like "rigs to reefs" or those dedicated to ocean conservation in general must need IT guys right?
jshoemaker_1 - 7/20/2012 7:09 AM
I would think the best place to look for a comprehensive list like this would be from within commercial diver training organizations like; ocean corp, commercial diving academy, divers academy, etc... though I doubt they would be willing to share that information with just anyone.

Otherwise you could search job placement websites like monster.com, jobs.com, careerbuilder.com. All of them should have a filter for Marine Service and IT. Let us know when you get your list together. :O)
Subscribed
Danielkent - 7/20/2012 1:57 PM
I believe that just about every business, operation, teaching academy, dive resort, etc., is going to HAVE to have some kind of networking infrastructure, not to mention an online presence, to be successful. I don’t think there would be a whole lot of big opportunities that would offer full-time IT jobs with the exception of working for a large manufacturer like Scuba Pro, but a bigger operation (like the dive operation at an all-inclusive resort) might have opportunity for someone who could fill an instructor/divemaster role who also is keen on network management, setup, security, etc. "Why yes, I am a MSDT and a CCNA..." could be a powerfully commanding set of qualifications. Just my thoughts...
jg - 7/27/2012 1:37 PM
Agreed with Daniel. Maybe not so much in telco infrastructure but more in IT, web, CRM, advertising, maybe some accounting and general management as well...
And there should be some room for an independant developer that could "renovate" the websites of some dive centers. While some are very professional, other are so terrible that they just make you run away from the big, old-fashionned "Enter" button of the home page...
It would take some effort in biz dev, running from shop to shop, but provide a nice way to dive different locations.
Subscribed
Greg - 8/14/2012 7:20 AM
SimplyHired.com has a "Special Filter" that lets you choose options like Green, Non-Profit, Socially Responsible, etc. to narrow down the list of job results. It would be nice if they added one for water nuts like us.
Subscribed
zoomonkey - 7/10/2014 2:27 PM
It is my guess that an IT job in the scuba industry wouldn’t be any more interesting than any other industry. My experience as an IT consultant for many different industries, food, insurance, finance, trucking is that it’s always a cubicle and always making forms and reports, they just might happen to have a scuba logo on the top or something.