Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Silicon on underwater house???
Magdalena - 12/10/2007 4:34 AM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 3

Hi Everybody! My partner just gave me a great digital camera with an underwater house!!! So I will be able ta take my camera with me at my next dive. Yes!!!! I just have a question now. Together with all the gear included with the camera, there was some slicon. What do I use that for? Is it just for the O-ring or do I take it around the house before I go under water? Do I use it every dive or just from time to time? Thanks for answering. Magdalena
DiveRex - 12/10/2007 9:56 AM
There should be a section in the owners manual on how to properly care for the underwater housing and apply the silicon to the o-ring. The big concern is keeping the o-ring "clean" and the groove that the o-ring seats in clean. The silicon is to be applied "very lightly" to the o-ring. Dont glob it on and it doesn`t need to be applied anywhere else on the housing unless there are specific recommendations by the manufacturer of the housing. Everytime you open the housing, it is a good idea to make sure the o-ring is clean and lubricated before you close the housing again.

That is the basics and I hope it helps. Just make sure to take the time and read the owners manual if you have it.
RAWalker - 12/10/2007 12:12 PM
The silicon is a lubricant for the o-rings. Use just enough to give the o-ring a bit of surface gloss. It`s to keep the ring from wearing and drying out. Properly maintained o-rings can last for years. It is best to remove them for long term storage just keep them in a clean plastic bag. The only other thing to worry about is keeping everthing clean and inside the housing dry. A single speck of dust, a hair or eyelash in the o-ring groove or on the o-ring can and in most cases will case a leak. Using silcon desicant packs or moisture munchers in the housing will keep the insides dry. Finally rinse the entire rig with plenty of fresh water after each dive.
Dorkfish - 12/10/2007 1:20 PM
Great advice from everyone.

You should also remember to clean the o-ring with a lint-free cloth prior to applying fresh silicone. This will help keep dust bunnies, hairs, and other particles out of the sealing surface. Trust me when I say that it only takes a single hair to cause a leak in a housing.

NOTE: always refer to the owners manual on the use of silicone. Some companies (like the Sea Life Reefmaster digitals) use impregnated o-rings which are supposed to be used dry and not removed unless absolutely necessary and usually by a service shop.