Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Diving and tooth
Magdalena - 12/06/2009 3:53 AM
Category: Health & Safety
Replies: 4

Hi everyone!

A question about health and diving. I have a tooth with a big problem, my dentist said that I will need a crown. I dont have much pain, and can eat without any problems.

How will it work for me to scuba dive with that tooth - without going to the dentist? Cannot afford a crown now, but still going to the east coast to dive at the great barrieer reef, and dont want to miss the dive of my life!

Maggie
RickCavanaugh - 12/06/2009 8:10 AM
Depends. You should talk to your dentist.

If you have an air pocket in your tooth it could cause the tooth to pop/crack when you ascend from the gas expanding.
Subscribed
Magdalena - 12/06/2009 8:47 AM

Nothing is done to my tooth yet, it is just in relly bad shape..... Can there be any pockets naturally in it?

pinkladydi - 12/06/2009 10:29 AM

I have seen divers have to abort dives at 15 ft because of tooth pain and they had no symtoms before the dive

RickCavanaugh - 12/09/2009 5:48 PM
If you need a crown, something is wrong with the tooth. Talk to your dentist as the dentist most likely took an xray and can give you the best advice.