Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Loose Octo`s, Guage consoles
wpbdiver - 10/31/2007 12:37 AM
Category: Training
Replies: 4

I see so many photos with Octo`s swinging out and guage consoles flying. Adding a brass snap to the appendage with a tie wrap then clipping to your BC is a more streamlined look AND you or your buddy know where to find it everytime. Peace
OcalaJim - 10/31/2007 7:03 AM
I completely agree and there are other reasons to clip your gauges/oct close to your body. Octo-clips are not that expensive, besides, isn`t $12.00 worth saving your equipment and possibly keeping you from getting caught on something?
ReefHound - 10/31/2007 9:51 AM
I agree. I have bolt snaps tied with cave line to all my stages and gauges - and most everything else. Zip ties work well in a pinch but will break if twisted. Not a problem on stages and gauges since the hose keeps them from going far but I`d only use line on lights and cameras and reels and such.

But I still remember years ago when I was newer and in search of such "solutions". New divers are still trying to remember the basic rules of diving and their "awareness" hasn`t expanded yet to the little things like this. And there are so many "orange shovels" being pushed onto divers that they don`t know what gadget works best.

I think I`m going to buy a bulk box of cheap brass snaps, keep a few of them in a thigh pocket, and whenever I get a buddy with danglies I`m going to just "fix" the problem on the spot with a zip tie.
AirOn - 11/05/2007 5:57 PM
Just invest in a simple retractor for your console... Then you won`t forget to check or rehook it. Even the people with the clips for their Consols and Octos they drag. I`m constantly securing other divers equipment. I decided against the whole Octo method and just got myself a nice integrated air source2 on my BC. One less thing to snag or drag. My Console and backup light are both on retractors on my BC. Oh... And I`m a newbie...lol Thats no excuse.
RAWalker - 11/11/2007 4:10 PM
My solution was to streamline and eliminate the extra hoses of the Console and octo. I purchased a wrist computer which has a transmitter for air integration. That rid me of the console. I also use a BC with a breathable inflator. (Sherwood Tortuga w/ Gemini inflator) This rig is a pleasure not to worry about. Nothing to get caught, tangled or harm the environment.