Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

FAU Submarine project
SaintsReturn - 4/13/2011 2:19 PM
Category: General
Replies: 5

I came across this on my facebook from a friend in High School. I am currently trying to find out more about it, but thought some of you may find this interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BowxagcXpho 
LatitudeAdjustment - 4/14/2011 3:11 PM

Many many years ago I spent a day as a safety diver for the International Submarine Races and was impressed with the engineering and speed some teams were reaching on pedal power.

To control conditions the race is run in the Surface Warfare test tank, that is cold dark water and since you need to stay in place you get chilled fast!

The subs follow a line of chemlum sticks but since most crews are overbreathing as they speed down the course they fog up the mask, can’t see the chemlume sticks, get off course and crash into the wall at speeds up to 7 knots!
Subscribed
caves4me - 4/14/2011 6:21 PM
Subscribed
SaintsReturn - 4/16/2011 6:39 PM
thank you for the second link. My friend was on this team and wanted to know more about his side if it. Last time we talked, he was into cars, lol, amazing how things change
Subscribed
caves4me - 4/17/2011 5:54 PM
You’re welcome. I have a few friends that bring their research to Carderock.
Subscribed
SaintsReturn - 4/18/2011 7:23 AM
It is something i never heard of. Me and the kid in the video used to work on cars together in his garage in High school. We lost touch when i enlisted, but got together on facebook. Its amazing how much changes so quickly and how awesome that is! I never heard of it and i thought it was interesting.