Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

No Air Cell?
fargo - 12/04/2010 9:27 PM
Category: General
Replies: 12

While diving in Placencia last April, I decided to take the air cell off my BC since I had not used it for several years. My BC is a Dive Rite so it was not difficult to remove. Have made about 90 dives since then and I love diving without an air cell. Has anyone out there tried this?

Subscribed
somelikeitwet - 12/06/2010 3:33 AM
Gorilla diving... old school. Be careful of over weighting. Can be a long way finning to neutral bouyancy.
Subscribed
mproekt1 - 12/06/2010 5:17 PM
Do you have any concerns about not having buoyancy in case of emergency? Like a rescue type situation? Don’t mean to rain on your parade. Just curious.
Subscribed
slippin2darknezz - 12/06/2010 8:32 PM
Monkey diving..oh yeah..great way to dive..I just dont go below 33ft..usually hang in shallow waters that I can dive to without a tank..Some folks go deeper and further..it’s just how much risk you are ready to assume..
LatitudeAdjustment - 12/07/2010 12:29 PM

SCUBA was invented before BC’s, when I first started diving only about half of our club used BC’s and most of them were just airline vest in case they needed to float on the surface for an extended period.

Safety stops in open water with no anchor rode to hang on can be a problem as your wetsuit uncompresses.
Subscribed
MrManta - 12/07/2010 6:29 PM
Hi Fargo,
Are you talking about the air bladder inside the BC? If so I agree with you. I don´t wear a BC. I wrote an article titled "The most dangerous piece of diving gear" after witnessing a diver fatality due to a blowup, actually there was two in less that a year. Ever seen what a fish looks like after being brought up fast....a human looks the same, not a pretty way to go. I know there is many that would call me crazy, and that is laughable.

Fargo, if your interested, I will send you the article, and you can make up your own mind........
Stay safe, Terry
Subscribed
MrManta - 12/07/2010 6:42 PM
Hi again Fargo,

Forgot to add this to my reply....Ever wonder why you never saw any Cousteau team divers wearing a BC? Just their little clam pack with triple 30 cu ft. tanks inside and NO bladder. I have dove with Phillip before he died, and he thought they were dangerous......
Have a great day, and I know this is going to stir someone up, Terry
Subscribed
slippin2darknezz - 12/07/2010 7:04 PM
I would be interested in reading the article you wrote on the dangers of using a BCD. I have heard this conversation many times about no BCD diving and I listen to both sides. Each brings up valid points, as well as not so valid points. I for one will dive without a BCD but only to a certain depth. Beyond that I would not consider it.
Subscribed
MrManta - 12/07/2010 7:18 PM
Hi,

I am not sure just how to post my article.....it is fairly lengthy, but covers it all I believe.........any ideas how to put this out to any interested parties?

Terry
Subscribed
MrManta - 12/07/2010 7:46 PM
slippin to darknezz,

On another subject .....just got a look at your photos....outstanding !!!
Subscribed
slippin2darknezz - 12/08/2010 6:38 AM
Thanks..if you want you can e-mail me at slippin2darknezz@yahoo.com.. In the spring I may be getting in touch with you to come down and see the Giant Red Squids.
Subscribed
MrManta - 12/08/2010 8:40 AM
Morning Robert,

Well you may be in for a BIG surprise. I ran into about 9 of them on a night dive, actually a bounce dive to the net rock on the North end of Danzante Island. This Net rock has an old seiner net about a 1/4 th of a mile long, and over the years the only remaining glass balls that were holding one end of the net up broke away. Anyway that is why I call it the Net rock. The interesting part is that this rock has a small cave that Pacific lobster come to at different times of the year. The downside is the net rock is at 190 feet. Not a big deal just an inconvenient depth for a simple dive to gather these 8 to 10 lb. bugs. There is only a few places I have found over the last 20 plus years I have been diving this area that they come to. Anyway, I did this night dive one night and left my girlfriend on board the boat to wait for me to bring up some of these Pacific´s. As I headed down, getting to about 90 feet, I saw something flash by on my left side. I stopped and turned my light around and saw nothing, so I continued down. At about 150 feet, it happened again, and this time stopped just below the ridge at 150 feet and then all of a sudden, I found myself surrounded by huge Squid. 8 or 9 as I remember. The length of these squid was about 10 feet. I typically don´t get narced until I am below about 190 and it takes awhile to get to me, so I was clear headed at this point. They all seemed curious about my light, as they kept putting their tenticals around my wrist and light and were pulling against me. This only took a few seconds to realize the danger. One of them tried to get a tentical on my mask, and at that point I turned off my dive light, exhaled hoping to drop below them, and did a blitz for the surface. Trust me on this, I was not concerned about my ascent rate at that point. Reaching about 40 feet I spun around and they were gone, I guess they didn´t follow me up, or they could not keep up with me..hee hee.

As a Dive Guide, at times for the rich and shameless, I dive with some of the bad boy sharks, especially out at San Benedicto Island where there is lots of them from big Tigers, Silvertips to Galapagos sharks, (constantly looking behind or as I call it " spin diving) , and never really felt threatened that much ( I carry a bang stick and wear a shark shield). I have not done a night dive off the North end of Danzante Island since...scared, you better believe I was. I really think if I had not acted as fast as I did, they would have parted me out with a few more seconds.........a very lucky guy. Even big sharks (18 foot Tiger comes to mind) don´t shake me up, you kinda know their tricks when they try to come in on you.......As far as the Giant Squid, your chances are 1 in 10 of making it back alive...they are smart and very fast.

Robert are you sure you want to try this?????? Good luck! Terry
Subscribed
MrManta - 12/08/2010 8:48 AM
OOPs, sorry for running off at the fingers guys