Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Balmorhea or Aquarena Springs
WarmWaterTurner - 9/27/2010 10:05 AM
Category: Travel
Replies: 12

Wife and I want to make a road trip in November. The dive destination is Balmorhea or Aquarena. We would have to do the Scientific Diver course to dive Aquarena. No sure that the wife will be willing to go to class for two days. On the other hand, Balmorhea is 8 hours from Houston. Both sites are spring fed, similar vis, similar depth. Balmorhea looks to have much more aquatic life but Aquarena more plant and structure. If you have done both - which is your preferred? Many thanks!
Subscribed
badintexas - 9/27/2010 2:46 PM
I probably won’t be 100% helpful but wanted to write. Our family has been to both. Greg dove Balmorhea and the kids and I snorkeled and swam. It was beautiful but definitely a nice little drive to get there. Our family has been on the glass bottom boat tour at Aquarena Springs and it looked like it would be a neat dive. I’m sure you’ll get more responses but I wanted to add my few cents worth. ;O)
Subscribed
badintexas - 9/27/2010 2:49 PM
Here’s a link to Balmorhea. That’s Greg and our little girl in the top picture.
http://www.divebuddy.com/divesite.aspx?DiveSiteID=798

Aquarena Springs - http://divebuddy.com/divesite.aspx?DiveSiteID=1378
Subscribed
WarmWaterTurner - 9/27/2010 3:39 PM
Thanks..yeah, I was looking at your posts. I appreciate it!
Subscribed
DrMike - 9/27/2010 7:07 PM
Aquarena Springs FYI:

Aquarena is a lot of fun to dive, BUT it is a lot of WORK. You will clean, chart what you see (count fish) and clean more i.e. pull weeds, clean the cam. “The Diving for Science authorization course” sounds like Research Dives , and Underwater archaeology. NO it’s just cleaning and pulling weeds.

Now I’m not saying don’t do it. It is a lot of fun, and you can sign up to do two dives in one day. I live in New Braunfels and I dive there 2-3 times a month, and teach out there. I love it. It is ALL Volunteers that work out there, and they NEED your money.

Good luck, I hope this info helps

Subscribed
rashley - 9/27/2010 10:07 PM

I have always wanted to do Balmorhea. I love camping and by November Balmorhea should have camping weather. Keep us posted on dive buddy. It might be fun for a group of us to hit Balmorhea together. Just an idea.

Randy
Subscribed
WarmWaterTurner - 10/01/2010 6:12 PM
OK, Balmorhea won the coin toss. Will post pictures and dive report after the trip. Also going to attempt to do a short night dive video as I have been unable to find anything on youtube about night diving there.
Subscribed
TxFltMedic - 10/26/2010 8:36 AM
Have done Balmorrhea and loved it! It is only 18’-20’, but typically has great visibility (70’). The fish and turtles are definitly plentiful. If it is cold when you get out, you can go to the showers and let the hot water run into your wetsuit - this will keep you warm until you return to your room / camper / vehicle.
Subscribed
WarmWaterTurner - 10/27/2010 6:07 PM
The wife really appreciates in advise about the warm shower. We are headed for Balmorhea in the morning. Highs are about 84 but the low is about 50. Thanks for the info!
Subscribed
badintexas - 10/28/2010 9:41 AM
Awesome! Have a safe trip. And come by and pick me up on the way.. J/J It’s so beautiful and open out there.. Super relaxing. Enjoy ya’lls time and take pictures. 
Subscribed
WarmWaterTurner - 10/28/2010 10:12 AM
You got it. Will try for some good shots. Leaving NOW!!!!!!
Subscribed
chazrich - 10/28/2010 3:22 PM

Balmorhea is certainly smaller, but it is a great dive. Don’t miss out on the chance to do a night dive there too. Just ask at the front counter. They basically lock you in after everyone else leaves and you let yourself out when you’re done. It’s a whole other world after dark, though.