Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

MEGA 4.5 DD mask from HydroOptix ... does some buddy?
DragonMarino - 9/13/2007 9:56 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 8

Have some buddy used this mask ? it suppousedly increases your field of view 5X ?? I understand that you have to wear disposable contacts in order to use this mask ? is it worth it ? what are your esperiences with this , it sound appealing to me and I would apreciate any imput on this. Happy Dives!
Dorkfish - 9/14/2007 2:49 AM
I do not have the mask, but I have worn one to see what the fuss was about. IF you have good vision or the opposite vision of what it corrects you will need a corrective lens kit as the mask design w/o the corrective lens creates a correction for near-sightedness (I think that`s right) due to the basic design. The mask is quite nice if you can afford to spend that kind of money on a mask.

The only other downside I could see would depend on the exhaust vents for each specific user`s regulator set up. Some of the micro units may have exhaust vents too close to the mask and cause bubbles to hit the bottom of the mask rather than vent them to the sides of the face, but that is also relative to body position and movement (or lack there of).
Dorkfish - 9/14/2007 6:15 AM
If you were to take a piece of mirror that is flat and look at it, you see a really limited range within the borders of that flat panel. But, if you were to take that panel and wrap it a bit you get a much wider range within the same borders (though reflected in the mirror). The same concept is present in the Hydroptix mask.

Think about the magnification concept of a mask. Objects appear closer and larger than they actually are with a standard mask. This is based on the characteristic differences of that image being transferred through water, a lens, then air to get to your eye; three different mediums which have different visual transmission characteristics. When you dome (convex) a lens, you increase the air mass capability within the mask as well as the magnification characteristic of the lens. Thus light bends at a different angle than with a flat lens causing a better field of view. Does that help clear things up a bit more?
Subscribed
DragonMarino - 9/14/2007 4:45 PM
Thanks Fish ! That does clarify things more , I think what Im going to do is find some one who owns the mask , try it before I spend any money ; im a very visual person and always bother me the limited visual range of a regular mask so this mask sounds appealing to me and will pay its price even though I`m in a budget but I just want to make sure that is not more trouble than is worth it.
NWKatShark - 9/15/2007 10:57 AM
I`ve tried it and liked it. If you have uncorrected 20/20 eyesight, you have to wear contacts to use the mask. If you visit HydroOptix`s website, they provide a listing of Authorized Sellers who are, typically, eye care centers. Talk to your eye doctor about it. I loved the increased field of vision, but it`s more dive gear to take care of. If you don`t baby the lenses, they can get scratched up, especially in salty/sandy environments (duh). And, you look really goofy if you have to wear the goggles topside. You just can`t carry on a serious conversation wearing those things. As for Dorkfish, geez Dude, hell of an explanation. Did your hair catch fire while you were typing that?
fishome25 - 9/15/2007 11:14 PM
I bought it and returned it. little puddles formed at the bottom of each dome when you look down. i could never clear all the water out.
Dorkfish - 9/16/2007 3:08 PM
Thanks Larry, but with my limited amount of hair that`s kind of unlikely (ha!).

Just tried to make it understandable for most readers (without dumbing it down). The mirror reference usually helps the best when explaining convex function of lenses.
GregScubaholic - 12/29/2007 12:08 PM
Hi Dragon, I`m considering getting that HydroOptix mask. What has the feedback been? Greg
Subscribed
ScubaSteve63 - 3/29/2009 11:06 AM
i’ve had one for about a year and like, not love it. the increase in field of vision is awesome but i’ve had some issues keeping the mask clear. i think the trouble lies with me keeping the straps too tight and the apron is rolling over.

i now use this mask exclusively for UW photography as it eliminates the apparent distance issue entirely. i’m also Very near-sighted so i don’t need any contacts.

i used to use this mask for lobstering but it got too many scratches from me sticking my face in tight places i went back to a standrad mask for bug hunting. but it did help in saving time chasing lobsters that with a traditionl mask would look like legal size.

hope this helps.