Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Best Spearguns?!
DiverDanya - 3/10/2010 7:36 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 3

Hi fellow divers,

I am looking to get a spea gun for ling cod and halibut fishing mostly. If you have experience and any recommendations on which types/brands you like, I’d love to get your feedback.

I’ve used both pneumatic and sling guns and have found pros/cons of both. I am leaning towards a Riffe sling but, I’d like other opinions before I purchase.

Thanks for the help,
Danya
RhodeIslandDiver - 3/11/2010 8:58 AM

I use a Riffe with 3 bands works great usually fishing for striper bass, flounder, and black fish, you won’t be disappointed with the riffe I’ve had mine since 2004 other than replacing the bands every couple years it looks and works like new and I use it maybe 10 times per year.

Happy hunting

Mike
Subscribed
DiverDanya - 3/13/2010 4:12 PM
thanks mike- i’m glad you are happy with your riffe.
steelheadfish - 3/16/2010 12:19 PM
i stalk and kill the elusive ling cod also!! i shoot a nw 38 special 3 band gun and it great, but if you want to hunt small sea bass you need to use one sling or carry a pole spear. parts are easy to get through lesurie pro online. ( my lds really s#$$% for speargun parts.