Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Dive Buddy for Hawaii
errandsetc - 4/09/2006 4:50 PM
Category: General
Replies: 3

I will be in Kauai the last week of July and Maui the first week of Aug, 2006. Any tips on diving, `must-does`, must-see or must-eat would be appreciated. A dive buddy for that time would be great!
pirate46 - 4/13/2006 7:24 AM
I was in Kauai last month but was not able to dive due to the rains with flooding, resulting in no vis. Here is the feedback I got talking to people there. Bubbles Below is a respected operator. I talked to them while I was there and they told me they would not go out because I would not appreciate the diving and they did not want me to be unhappy. Kind of refreshing to have that kind of integrity! Their phone number is 808-332-7333. Numerous people told me that one dive to do is to the island of Ni`ihau. You can`t land on the island since only native Hawaiins (sp?) are allowed there, but you can take a boat trip from Port Allen. My overall suggestion is to get a couple of guidebooks, we liked "The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook" and "Kauai Underground Guide". Have an awesome trip! Larry
Ed - 4/16/2006 8:11 AM
I was in Maui diving in May of 2004 and did both shore and boat dives. You can purchase a multiple fill tank card from Maui Dive Shop and they will give you a free guide book showing all the shore dive locations. If you shore dive do it in the morning before the winds come up and ruin the vis. Boat dives were with Lahaina Divers, who are very professional. The main thing to note is that all dive shops have set days they do a particular dive site. If the water is rough where they intend to dive that day the dive is cancelled rather than shifting to a different location. This can really ruin a dive vacationj unless you have a Plan B.
Bluefin - 7/02/2006 11:54 PM
I have dived Maui several times and generally go with Lahaina Divers because they have big boats. They go to all the usual places like Molokini, Lanai, and Molokai. The half crater of Molokini is a great dive, both on the inside and on the back wall. There is a lot of fish life on the inside, and I`ve seen some huge mantas being cleaned there. The back wall has amazing visibility, it can be > 200` with no bottom.