Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

diving in florida
kabar3 - 8/04/2009 3:55 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 10

Next tuesday my daughter and I are diving in Fort Lauderdale at reef called the Nursery and a wreck called the Copenhagen. I don’t know what type of wet suit to bring. My dauhgter uses her 7 mil year around all year and I use my 5 mil all summer here on sunny cape cod. Thank youBarry
uwlover4u - 8/04/2009 6:40 PM

Are you kidding me? LOL. You don’t need no wetsuit this time of the year down here in sunny Florida. Most of us use a 3 mil but only when diving deep wrecks and more to protect us from the wreck and not for the temp. of the water which is in the high 80’s.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Denis
TColJeep - 8/04/2009 6:43 PM

Hey there Barry, I’m a northeast diver myself and normally make a trip down to West Palm Beach in May. I bring a 3 mil with me and find it plenty warm. Multiple dives as deep as 130 fsw and I’ve never felt cold. Good luck and enjoy that warm water. Todd
SKEETER - 8/04/2009 7:55 PM
I dive a 3 mm all year. I think that is the suit most used, but there are a few 5 mils out there.
Dolphins - 8/04/2009 9:22 PM

Hey Barry,

Was born and learned to dive in West Palm. It wasn’t until I moved to New York that I ever even considered buying a wetsuit. Even diving over 100’, and still never felt so much of a chill in Fl. I don’t know if you or your daughter get cold easily. I would have to agree that a 3mm would be more than enough, and even then I would just wear the top. Have a great time, have dove both of those in the early 80’s, and was plenty to see back then.
mdj1122 - 8/05/2009 2:13 PM
I agree with everyone else. I’m a bit of a touch-o-phobe, so I was in a 3mil suit, gloves, and booties - but you really don’t need a wetsuit at all. Bottom temp at the nursery was 84 degrees (two weeks ago). Enjoy the dive!
longfinspearo - 8/08/2009 11:04 PM
Hello Barry,

Just to quickly answer your question and as everyone has already said maybe just a 3 mm would do fine for the depth, but I usually don’t use a wetsuit around this time of the year, and if anything I just use a thermo guard whgich is a .5mm wetsuit top. Anyways the water here in FTL has been as I would say "Perfect for diving" so far with the exception of last week (the water was really choppy, Vis was maybe 10 ft or so). Either way in the end it is your call as to wether to bring a wetsuit or not. Enjoy the dive
geobrad7 - 8/12/2009 8:34 AM
I actually just did those two dive sites a few weeks ago. A 7 mm will work, but you will probably actually get hot. Even my dive buddy who gets cold easily was hot. The water temperature is in the mid-80s, so you only need it for exposure protection.
mdj1122 - 8/12/2009 8:45 AM
Brad - we were in 3mil suits, not 7!
geobrad7 - 8/17/2009 7:33 PM
Shut up. I meant 3 mm. LOL
Subscribed
kabar3 - 8/22/2009 10:49 AM

Thankyou everyone for your help. I ended up diving with no wet suit and Amanda dove with a tee shirt. It was fantastic! sooo much better then diving at home. back to the cold water mayby next week thanks again Barry