Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Scuba Noob!
Zosimus - 7/14/2009 9:00 AM
Category: General
Replies: 6

Hello everyone! Love the site Greg!
So I’m new to scuba, in fact I haven’t even completed my OW certification yet. I completed the classroom and confined water dives this past weekend, my open water dives are this coming weekend. I’m very excited to say the least. When I pass a mud puddle I have this strange urge to put on my mask and stick my face in it (just kidding, but you get where I’m coming from).

Even though I have a buddy that has been on me for years to get my OW (he currently has his Rescue), I thought it would be fun to meet new friends /dive buddies in the area. So if you are in the north Texas area, and you like to dive let me know! I would love to find more buddies that like to dive often, which would be blast and further my knowledge from some of you vets out there.

My instructor is Mark Metcalf at SI Scuba in Arlington, Texas. Mark is an excellent instructor. Him and his wife make the class extremely fun and love sharing stories and tidbits of information. Like I said, the open water portion of my OW certification is this weekend, and I have already signed up for the Advanced. I’m sure I will be looking at some specialties and Rescue after that.

I have been looking at some beginner gear. From the looks of it, they all have decent reviews but I figured I would open it up and see what you guys think. Again, this is will be my “entry level” gear. If you have any info that you would like to share on the items I have selected, please do. Do you have some gear that you feel is the best thing since sliced bread? Share! Is there some gear or accessories you can’t stand to dive without? Share! My list below is just a barebones; I have not selected any accessories. Please let me know what accessories you recommend for a beginner. Thanks for having me on the site Greg and thank you everyone for your info in advance!

Regulator = Oceanic Alpha 8 PX3 w/ DVT (We used the Alpha 8 in class and I really like it’s easy of breathing.)
Octo = Oceanic Slimline (I really like the slimline feature on this to help keep it from getting snagged and dirty. Went with Oceanic because from what I have used in class, they seem to make a quality product.)
BCD = Oceanic Ocean Pro (Again this is what we used in class and was extremely comfortable. I was able to establish buoyancy very quick and with ease.)
Wetsuit = Henderson 3MM Neoprene Once Piece Jumpsuit (We used Henderson shorties in class. Most of my diving will be in lakes in Texas. Other than the trips to Grand Cayman and Cozumel that we already have planned/paid for and are sure to schedule more in the future.)

So that is the start to my list. I already have my personal (snorkel) gear. Thanks guys and see you at the bottom!
Subscribed
Zosimus - 7/14/2009 9:04 AM
Forgot one item:

Computer/Console = Oceanic VEO 100NX Combo
Rich-D-Fish - 7/14/2009 11:43 AM

Love the enthusiasm. Keep it up. And welcome to Divebuddy.

As for "must have" equipment...let’s see...this would be just my opinion of course. I love my Apollo Bio Fins (split fins), but the most important part is the spring straps. A must have for sure. Easy on and off, plus they never break and ruin your day. Split fins are nice if you have a tendacy to get leg cramps like me. The also help with your air consumption by requiring less energy. Get a good dive light, and I recommend one with a rechargeable cell instead of using expensive C or D cells. As for a BCD, I went with the Dive Rite transpac with travel wing because it is extremely durable, streamlined, and packs really small for the dive trips. But if comfort is your most important issue, the best I personally ever rented and loved (but never bought) was the Seaquest Balance. I would recommend renting a few different so see which you like the most. For a reg I went with the Atomic B2 Reg and Atomic SS1 integrated octo/inflator. I bought these for two reasons; highly rated in reviews as top of the line, plus you only need to service every two years. I’m lazy about servicing so I liked this befefit. Other brands offered free lifetime replacement parts (not labor), but you still need to service every year. I also like my SS1 because it breaths as good as my main reg, and it easily unscrews from the end of the inflator hose which I can screw in my garden hose for easy cleaning. For a computer, there are many brands depending on the amount of money you want to spend. I haven’t tried enough of them to really say one is better than another in all fairness. But what I can recommend is to go hoseless with a transmitter to your wrist-watch computer. It’s so nice to just flick your wrist over to check your air, instead of fishing around on your side for your computer. Plus one less hose to worry about. Careful....once you try this it’s hard to go back! Okay, have I spent all your money yet? ;-)

Hope this helps. You will get a big variety of opinions over the next few days. Dive safe and stay wet!
Subscribed
Zosimus - 7/14/2009 11:49 AM
Thanks Rich! I’ll look end to your recommendations....

Keep the info coming!
divemaiden - 7/14/2009 8:13 PM

Welcome. I don’t have a lot of gear recommendations as I just bought what was available and stuck with it. It does what it is supposed to and I’m comfortable with it, but I have nothing to compare it with, so I can’t tell you if it’s better than what you plan to get or not. I do have a Henderson Thermoprene 5mm and am very comfortable in it.

When and if you move on to buying your own tanks, I recommend steel. You won’t need to wear as much lead, and you won’t have to worry about being more buoyant at the end of your dive than you are at the beginning.

I also recommend taking buoyancy as your first specialty class. You’ll feel so much more comfortable and in control in the water. My instructor actually recommends taking the buoyancy specialty before moving on to advanced. But I did it the same way you’re planning, ow, advanced, then specialties.

Good luck. Hope you find lots of buddies to dive with.
SKEETER - 7/20/2009 6:04 PM
Just remember the 2nt most inportent thing about diving. Have Fun
C_Dog12 - 7/24/2009 4:03 PM

Welcome

Up here in the great cold water north we wear at a min Mares5-4-3mm wet suit. That is only for summer days! But we still have fun