Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Diving in the Keys?
DiveGirl - 4/24/2009 6:29 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 6

I’m still trying to plan a dive vacation for the end of May. Leaning towards going to the Keys. Does anyone have any recommendations? I have dove with SubTropic in Key West, was curious if Key West had the best diving or is it better on any of the other Keys?
LatitudeAdjustment - 4/25/2009 6:39 AM

I’ve always prefered the upper Key’s diving and usually use Conch Republic. Don’t overlook Key Biscayne Park, great diving, only one operator and probably the only wall dive in the Key’s.

Avoid Looe Key Resort!

Another option is to take the M/V Spree out of KW to the Dry Tortugas, this liveaboard is above Blackbeards but no rooms like Aggressor. It would cost you less than than living ashore, you’ll get more dives and Captain Frank’s briefing is worth the price of admission!
Subscribed
ddiver1 - 4/26/2009 9:44 AM

I make regular trips down to Key Largo from Savannah. usually stay at one of the hotels right at Mile Marker 100 in Key Largo..there is a Holiday Inn and a Ramada there and several diver ops dock their boats right there so you can walk from your hotel right onto the dock...very convenient! I have used Sea-Dwellers and Rainbow Reef both within the last year...I would recommend both. If you are wanting to dive the Spiegel Grove, the will need to call around and see who has a boat scheduled to go there...there are also several six-pack boats docked there so you can do a customized trip. FYI I am heading down there from Savannah on 5/1 for a few days of Key Largo diving...looking for a buddy...anyone interested??

Dave
Subscribed
DiveGirl - 4/26/2009 9:33 PM

Thanks for all the tips!

My hubby is in Iraq and is daily changing his mind on what we are going to do. Now he wants to go to Belize. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! Anybody have any tips on Belize?
Subscribed
Barnacle - 5/01/2009 10:30 PM
In the Keys I also like Key Largo/Islmaroda area. Even Tavinier is nice. Amy Slates has a nice setup. If you go to Balize be sure to go out to San Padro. The people and diving there are the greatest.
Subscribed
Barnacle - 5/01/2009 10:30 PM
In the Keys I also like Key Largo/Islmaroda area. Even Tavinier is nice. Amy Slates has a nice setup. If you go to Balize be sure to go out to San Padro. The people and diving there are the greatest.