Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

diving after back surery
quinn2187 - 2/18/2009 11:34 AM
Category: Health & Safety
Replies: 8

has anyone here had back surgery and still dive? quick story; me and my partner got T-boned going code 3 to a weapons call. i suffered a blown out disk at l-5 s-1. they tell me i have to have surgery to fuse the two bones. i was just wondering if anyone has been through anything similar. if so were you able to return to diving afterwards? if so how long did it take to get back into diving again?
TXDiver77 - 2/18/2009 5:11 PM
Hi, I have had two discs removed from my back, but they did not fuse the vertebra. I have limited padding, because the disc membrane is still there but none of the disc fluid remains. I am still a very active diver, I average 50 dives a year. I have had to make some modifications to my pre and post dive routines, but in the water I have had no side effects at all. My modifications have been around how I load my weights and don my gear. I almost always make several trips to the boat or dive site, with my gear and weights seperately and I always sit down to don my weighted BC. Other than that, i’ve had no problems. Hope your surgery goes well, good luck returning to diving!
dwightfrie - 2/18/2009 10:38 PM

I have had 6 spinal surgeries. Two on my neck and four on my lower back. I have 27 pieces of titanium in my spine and had to have a vertabrea removed. I am in constant pain and at times can’t do anything but I managed to go from o/w diver to half through my divemaster in a year. As far as having a fusion there are pros and cons to both having it done, and waiting to have it done. Depending on how you handle pain and how much you love to dive though, diving is still a recreational activity in wich you can participate in.

The biggest thing, stay warm. I’d also suggest split fins if you don’t already use them. You’d be amazed how much they relieve kick strain. I wouldn’t dive without mine.

Recovery time just depends on how things go and if you have any complications. this has been a ten year process for me and it forced me into an early retirement. I do know several people who have gotten through it fine.

One piece of advice. I would not let them take bone from the fusion from you. Tell them you want donor bone.

If there’s anything you’d like to ask, feel free. I sincerely hope you get through this as easily as possible and with no complications.

sincerely,

Joe aka dwightfrie
dwightfrie - 2/18/2009 10:40 PM
also learn to get into your bc and weights in the water and use this method whenever possible. It makes a huge differance!
BgDmbRngr - 2/20/2009 7:37 PM
I actually sit in on alot of these types of surgeries. An L-5, S-1 fusion is one of the simplest ones. You might loose a limited range of motion in your flexion and extension and rotation, but otherwise I know alot of divers who have had that and still dive.
SCUBASMITTY - 2/21/2009 2:12 AM
man!~ I suggest NO SURGERY at all,I have had a bad bounce,and ruptured one and protruded two, the human body does WAY better at healing itself without any invasive action ! - I know of three friends who wish they had never had such surgeries,,, please consider other options first ! 
spacecoastmike - 2/22/2009 9:37 AM

I started diving in 1988 when I was 33. I had my first surgery at 15 (removed the blown nucleous), the second at 17 (removed the rest of the disc) and I was miserable from pain, lack of strength in my back and at all the limitations I had at being active. The third surgery was when I was 35 when I lost a 2nd disc and had to have the fusion (thank goodness, I still have pain now but nothing like before I had the fusion). I had just recieved my DM cert (since swimming was one of the only things the docs said I could do although they would not have approved of me standing with tanks and weights on my back) before finding out I had to have the 3rd surgery and I am now an instructor and very active diver. I have metal rods and screws in the lower back where I had the fusion and other then the fact that I can’t bend at the waist, I have no limitations. I am much stronger and capable after the fusion then I ever would have been w/o it and there isn’t anything I can’t do if I feel it’s something I want to do and can do otherwise (w/o regards to my back). Do what you have to, to get well and prevent further injury (look for alturnitives to surgery if you can) but if that’s whats needed, it’s not as bad now as it was in times past (a friend of mind had his done just 2 years ago and he healed up and was back to full activity in 1/3 the time I was since the medical procedures have come a long way in that time).

I hope that helps.
spacecoastmike - 2/22/2009 9:41 AM
I also agree with Joe about using donor bone although I think that’s standard procedure now. They took bone from my hip for mine (and that hurt more healing up then my back did) but my duddy had doner bone and he healed up in no time at all.
OcalaJim - 2/23/2009 12:04 PM
I had an ACF (anterior cervical fusion) on 2 discs - they fused them and put titanium plates and cages in. I have never had an issue with diving after the surgery. I also have a dive buddy that had the "elevator" in his lower back. Basically, it’s a couple of cables and rods. He continues to dive with no issues. He did make sure to build up his strength in his back before he went diving, though.