Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Liveaboard trips...Is Divebuddy Required?
Brian74 - 1/02/2009 8:38 PM
Category: General
Replies: 4

I am interested in going on some liveaboard type trips now that I finished getting my advanced OW certification. I have heard of some such as the Sand dollar in Calif. and some of the Aggressor boats. My question is, are you required to have a divebuddy to sign up for those types of trips, or are there enough singled people usually on the boats to pair up with somebody?

Thanks
sk290 - 1/04/2009 9:23 AM
Hello there Brian. You don’t necessarily need a buddy when signing up for a liveaboard trip. There are usually lots of people in the boat who would be willing to dive with you. In fact, even if you did have a buddy who might want to miss a particular dive someone would dive with you. Also, the dive master will ask the group if someone needs a buddy to dive with. Either others will take you on or he will dive with you himself. Liveaboards are one of the best dive trips I’ve done, lots of opportunities to meet other divers and perhaps hook up for a future dive. Love it! Good luck, have fun and dive safe! Sandra
lulu222 - 1/04/2009 3:21 PM

Liveaboards are the greatest for diving as much as you want and always finding someone to dive with. Even if you take a buddy that wants to sit out a dive.

You may want to check out Blackbeard Cruises, too. They have three levels of liveaboard boats, as far as cost. From the Blackbeard sailboat to the Aquacat. The sailboat is cheap and it’s a lot of fun. It’s also warmer water diving than the Channel Islands in California. I was glad someone told me about them, so I thought I’s pass it on.
Trixxie - 1/06/2009 6:35 PM
Hey Brian

I went to the caymans and stayed on the aggressor back in ’97. Went by myself and had one of the best trips of my life. There was always someone to dive with, even the Captain. Don’t be concerned too much about not having a buddy if you want to go on a live aboard...

cheers
ScubaPunk - 1/17/2009 5:18 PM

Hi Brian, Check out SingleDivers.com. They have lots of trips and some live aboards. You don’t have to worry about getting stuck with a rent-a-buddy that you don’t know. SD will match you up with a dive buddy. They are a great group to travel and dive with. Take a look at the St Croix trip coming up in Feb.http://www.singledivers.com/surfaceinterval/index.php?showtopic=16881&hl=

There’s also a few other trips posted on the calendar.