Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Belize
lulu222 - 9/26/2008 5:51 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 3

Hi! Trying to plan a dive trip for October, November and was thinking about Belize. I have noticed there are several options as far as locations, cayes, islands, etc. Does anyone have any experience as far as the best region or dive resort to stay? Also, does anyone have any interest in coming along? I have noticed many of the resorts offer quad suite or bungalow deals. You can fly direct to Belize City from Houston.

wilddbill - 9/26/2008 6:49 PM

Ambergris Caye is the place to go. I have been there 4 times and I have been to south Belize as well (Placencia). Ambergris is very close to the reef and three is more to do inland as well.. Ramon’s village has the huts by the water but there are lots of options. I’m thinking of heading back in Nov as well

Bill
DiveGirl55 - 9/29/2008 10:34 AM

Yes, there is a direct from Houston to Belize, about 3 hours. You will need another little plane on to San Pedro, Ambergris Caye.

I have been there TWICE now, and LOVE IT. It is affordable, lots to see, great viz and temp, the people are awesome and it is very safe for a woman to go. I went alone.

I am out the door, but I will tell you more later.
SeaGoat - 9/29/2008 5:05 PM

I stayed at the Mayan Princess in San Pedro in April. They rent condos w/ kitchens, balconies and room for up to 6. They offer a diving package with Amigos del Mar - prices run about $600-$900 per person for a week of diving twice a day (it’s low during hurricane season). They are all boat dives. Amigos is a very well-run business with good dive masters. They’ll rinse your gear and store it over night, and since their dock is right behind the Mayan Princess, it’s definitely the most convenient set-up in San Pedro.

Also, if you have your advanced certification, go check out the Blue Hole. It costs extra but I think it’s worth it.

Finally, take Dramamine or something even if you don’t think you’ll need it. The water is super choppy.