Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Live-aboard recommendations?
Archi77 - 9/06/2008 5:05 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 4

I want to take a live-aboard vacation next summer, somewhere in the Carribean. Any suggestions of which are better than others? I’m a low-time diver (about 20 or so dives), but would like to take a Nitrox, perhaps other, courses on the trip. I do plan to have my AOW before then. And obviously, finances are tight, so best bang for the buck.

Any suggestions?
RMOOR45 - 9/07/2008 12:17 PM
It’s like camping... Look up Blackbeards.com, eat, sleep, dive......
Nesher - 9/07/2008 7:33 PM

The S/Y Juliet has good value. Sort of in the mid - range [ at ] 1495.00 plus fees. I would give the S/Y Juliet serious consideration. (Google: Juliet Sail and Dive)

The other liveaboards are considerably more when you consider the add-on charges.

I haven’t done Blackbeards and probably will not do it either. I’m not into the hardcore camping-at-sea backpack liveaboard experience quite yet.

The other liveaboards I’ve done or would consider are a bit more expensive.

Yet, I must say that I’ve heard great things about Blackbeard. I hope that helps
OcalaJim - 9/08/2008 11:18 AM
Are you set in going to the Caribbean? If not, down in Ft. Meyers, FL there is a live aboard called the Ultimate Getaway. They do trips down to the Dry Tortugas and for their shorter trips (4 days??) it’s only $795.00. It’s not an extravagant vessel, but, it’s definitely worth going.
Jupitermermaid - 9/09/2008 11:49 PM
The Aqua Cat is a first class live aboard that is all inclusive. Gourmet meals 3 times a day plus snacks, beverages, alcohol, side trips, etc. They take you to a variety of sites, pamper you to no end, and ensure you have a great time. I went last summer for the first time and intend on going again next summer, because I enjoyed them so much. Feel fee to ask any questions you might have.