Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Hands free equalizing tips?
sea_echols - 8/16/2022 1:27 AM
Category: Free Diving
Replies: 3

Hi, I have a question for anybody who can do hands free equalization. I’ve been raising the back roof of my mouth (this is the soft palate correct?) And then alternating between resting and closing the throat, when I do it underwater I don’t really feel any puffs of air or sound it feels like im not equalizing unlike if I were doing valsalva, but when I resurface, I notice the ears have been "cleared" or have been popped better than if I did valsalva is this how hands free is supposed to feel? If not, could you inform me a little better about the movement and how it’s supposed to feel in any way? Thanks again!
LatitudeAdjustment - 8/16/2022 8:45 AM
Moving my jaw side to side works great if I don’t wait too long but not exactly hands free because I may need to hold the regulator.
Subscribed
GreggS - 8/16/2022 9:31 AM
I move my jaw down slightly and then forward. It took a lot of practice and like @LatitudeAdjustment, I would have to hold the regulator in my mouth when learning to do it. But now, I can start equalizing while descending without touching it. I’ve gotten so used to doing it this way that I can do it in one fluid motion without even thinking about it. I’ve actually had dive buddies ask me how I can descend so fast since I’ve figured out how to do it this way.
Subscribed
Hank-NYC - 8/26/2022 12:16 PM
Sometime saying the alphabet helps move the jaw and helps reduce pressure.