Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Flying with equipment??
megraz - 2/18/2022 5:00 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 4

I’m flying to Mexico from Florida Tuesday and trying to figure out how to pack everything.
Can I carry on my diving equipment? My gear bag is carrying size and fits everything in it. That would be the most efficient for me but when I checked TSA the response I got was it’s not on the prohibited list but depending on the TsA person at security they could say no. What do you all do?
Eric_R - 2/19/2022 7:08 AM
I always carry on my regs and Dive Computer.
LatitudeAdjustment - 2/19/2022 7:17 AM
Well for starters I did find out in Greece that their version of TSA will give you a free ride in a policia car when they find your dive knife in your "checked" baggage :(
I had a dive buddy who should have taught a class on packing, she got all of her stuff for a two week trip to Coz into a backpack with her fins tied onto the outside of that backpack with her exercise bands.
The only issue is bottles of sunscreen or insect repellent, pony bottles and line cutters.
If you can get all of your gear in a carry-on I’m impressed, my carry-on is just my photo gear and dive computers.
Dry you gear before flying, the damp weight has actually put my bag over the weight limit :(
Subscribed
GreggS - 2/19/2022 8:33 AM
I had a reg set disappear from my checked bag coming home from Coz a few years ago. I have packed my regs and computer in my carry on ever since.
LatitudeAdjustment - 2/20/2022 8:22 AM
From GreggS: I had a reg set disappear from my checked bag coming home from Coz a few years ago

TSA apparently opened my bag, I think my octopus got caught on the mesh bag and popped the purge button off :( I didn’t discover it til setting up on a liveaboard and had to use a strange to me rig.

I do have my reg in the camera bag now. BTW, my camera bag/carry on is a clear dry bag so they can see everything without dumping it at TSA check points.

The problem with having a drybag is everyone on the boat wants to put something in it!