Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Wearing a wetsuit under a drysuit. Has anyone tried this?
Jgidley - 1/06/2018 12:05 PM
Category: Training
Replies: 5

Hi everyone, my area is experiencing zero degree weather. The water beneath is warmer.
So my thought is could I wear my 5mm wetsuit under my drysuit.
Concern would be neck seal. Though I believe the surface intervals would be warmer and safer. Thoughts please??

Jim
Subscribed
Jgidley - 1/06/2018 2:10 PM
Thanks, I know sometimes if I don’t strip down between long surface intervals in wetsuit I chill. Was hoping it being dry though. Thanks for the response.

Jim
Eric_R - 1/06/2018 5:45 PM
I wet suit will help. I have a semi dry wet suit and I stay warmer if the water doesn’t get in. Some Gumbie suits are made with neoprene like wet suits but their seems are sealed and they have built in boots and wrist and neck seals. A dry suit only works as good as the air within it. I’m with Lat in that I think a good thermal garment will give you the best protection and ease of movement. Even a good under garment can be made useless if it’s compressed at depth.
Subscribed
Jgidley - 1/06/2018 11:07 PM
True, very true. I’m warm underneath. The surface intervals can be brutal. LOL.
Subscribed
CharlesGraves - 2/15/2019 3:41 AM
The wetsuit under drysuit would keep you warm but not quiteeee as warm as a really good undergarment. The other bigger issue is like you said... lack of movement, and possibly might mess up your neck seal. And in 0 degree freezing weather and cold water, you seriously want to avoid that situation. You theoretically could even die from it. So I suggest going with a good undergarment that’s made for drysuits lol