Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Dive Buddies wanted for Howe Sound/Sunshine Coast/Vancouver Island
dharmapunk5 - 8/05/2017 2:14 AM
Category: Buddy Wanted
Replies: 5

My partner and I live on a 37’ sailboat and I just got my basic open water certification in July (2017). We go somewhere whenever I have time off (I do shift work so my "weekend" changes every week). I work in Gibsons BC. We spend a lot of time on the Sunshine Coast, and in the Nanaimo area of Vancouver Island. Send me a note let’s arrange a time to go diving!

Cheers,

Todd
Subscribed
JeffNColdWater - 8/05/2017 2:04 PM
Welcome to the sport. I hear you’ve got some great diving up there, especially wrecks. Have fun and stay safe.

Cheers,
Jeff
Subscribed
dharmapunk5 - 8/05/2017 4:19 PM
Hi Jeff,

Thanks. So far I’ve been having a lot of fun. Still trying to master neutral buoyancy.

Todd
Subscribed
JeffNColdWater - 8/05/2017 4:48 PM
Don’t worry about it so am I. It takes time in the water. I’m working on the class right now and just reading the book and watching the video has really helped.

The wife and I get up to BC every once in a while. She doesn’t dive, but if I can convince her to take a spa day while I take my dive gear I’ll give you a shout and see if we can get in the water.
Subscribed
dharmapunk5 - 8/05/2017 7:05 PM
That works for me! One lesson I learned really quickly is how important using the compass for navigation is. I got a bit complacent on one of my dives and I got myself lost and ended up surfacing and was over really deep water. It was a wake up call.
Subscribed
JeffNColdWater - 8/05/2017 9:01 PM
Totally can relate to that. I was doing an altitude dive last weekend in a lake that has an underwater river flowing through it. I kept thinking the current was taking me to the west, but my compass told me I was going east. I choose to ignore my compass and surfaced a long way away from my beach. Turns out I was in an eddy in the lake part that ran upstream to the river.

My instructor tells every student that if you can dive in the Northwest you can dive anywhere. With the algae blooms in the summer pretty much every dive below 10M turns into a night dive and you need to be nav and low light proficient. Then in the winter it might clear up but it gets so cold that you still need to be on your game. These waters keep you honest that’s for sure.