Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Caymans
Fifthjoker - 7/29/2017 11:35 AM
Category: Travel
Replies: 10

Planning a trip to the Caymans for the beginning of Sept. Can anyone tell me what dive sites and dive centers to not miss? I am Nitrox and will be advanced diver certified by the time of the trip. Any and all help would be greatly apprciated. Also, where to stay. East side, west side, does it matter much?

Happy diving
Subscribed
FtMyersTom - 18 days 23 hours ago.
We just got back today from our 2nd trip to Grand Cayman.

I’m assuming you want info on Grand Cayman? Email me and I’ll get back to you off forum with some info. Can’t help you with Cayman Brac or Little Cayman.

scubatom@gmx.com
Subscribed
Seeteufel - 17 days 22 hours ago.
Hi, I’m heading to Grand Cayman in November, first time. I’ve been checking trip advisor for dive operations. ’There seem to be quite a few, all about the same price with small groups 6-8 divers. Levy me know how you make out, it would be appreciated.
Rick
Subscribed
Fifthjoker - 17 days 21 hours ago.
I definitely will. So far I’ve researched info on the Grand Cayman only and still putting all together.
Subscribed
FtMyersTom - 17 days 11 hours ago.
From Seeteufel: Hi, I’m heading to Grand Cayman in November, first time. I’ve been checking trip advisor for dive operations. ’There seem to be quite a few, all about the same price with small groups 6-8 divers. Levy me know how you make out, it would be appreciated.Rick

Rick, I will include you in the email I send to John. I got busy yesterday and will get the email together this morning.
Subscribed
CJFor - 14 days 19 hours ago.
I have dove with Ocean Frontiers on the East End of Grand Cayman for the past 3 years. They are absolutely fantastic, and just took delivery of a brand new boat this summer. There are 365 dive sites around the islands, and OF covers the 55 on the East End of the island. About a 30 minute drive from Georgetown, but well worth it. Check out their website, all prices and packages are in the site. Make sure you reserve your days and times, they are a busy shop and boats usually leave full.
Subscribed
CJFor - 14 days 19 hours ago.
I forgot to add places to stay... we have a timeshare at The Reef which is now owned by Wyndham. They do offer non-timeshare rentals just like a hotel. Next door to that is Morrit’s. Ocean Frontiers also has their own little resort called Compass Pointe, which is mainly geared towards divers, as there is not really much of a beach there. All three are on the East End, I have never stayed anywhere else, it is much more private and away from the crazy city and insane amounts of people from cruise ships that you run into in the Georgetown/ Seven Mile Beach area.
Subscribed
FtMyersTom - 14 days 6 hours ago.
Yes the east end is very quiet but you need to keep in mind that the ENE winds are common as are 5ft seas that can go along with it. For this old diver with my bad lumbar rough seas are out. I think part of the draw to the island is the western side seas are calm a lot of the time. If you have bad luck and a blow is out of the ENE for the week there isn’t much else to do and it’s over 1hr round trip to George Town and 7 mile beach.

The days cruise ships are in varies and if you plan your travels around the times they disembark and embark you can avoid a lot of traffic. This is also true for work rush hour times. Seems strange an island this small has high traffic that coincides with work time rush hours but it does. The times for both are about the same. For the most part it’s bad downtown, once about half way past 7 mile beach north it’s good. We planned trips to west bay area on days more than 1 cruise ship was in.

Here is link to Grand Cayman Port Authority with cruise ship schedule
caymanport.com/
Subscribed
Fifthjoker - 12 days 10 hours ago.
Thanks Colin, I appreciate all the great info.
Subscribed
rjspreckelsen - 9 days 3 hours ago.
Grand Cayman has some of my favorite diving. If you are staying in the 7 mile beach area, I would highly recommend Living The Dream Divers. They are an amazing operation with some of the nicest people I have ever met. They have valet service so if you are on 7 mile beach they will pick you up from your hotel/condo and take you to the boat.
Subscribed
Fifthjoker - 5 days 9 hours ago.
Thank you everyone for the great information about the Caymans. It’s nice to know that the dive community is so caring and helpful. Hopefully after our trip we will be able to do the same for others.