Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Long-term stay for diving: Belize or Honduras?
Marlies-Diveoclock - 3/27/2017 9:06 AM
Category: Travel
Replies: 6

Hi everyone,

Would love to get some recommendations from people who have been diving in both countries or various areas within those countries. I’m thinking of renting a small apartments for a month and do some diving for (hopefully) a local rate. Needs to be safe, some grocery stores and cheap restaurants nearby. Preferably an area with many dive shops/ a little bit like a village build up around the diving business. My level is: Dive instructor/1500+.

Thinking about:
Belize: Caye Caulker, Ambergris Caye, Placencia or Hopkins.
Honduras: Roatan or Utila.

Any thoughts/recommendations/comparable information on these areas?

Thanks a lot! Marlies
Subscribed
Marlies-Diveoclock - 3/27/2017 9:01 PM
Thank you Raymond Clark for this useful information! Roatan is on top of the list for now! :)
Subscribed
FtMyersTom - 3/28/2017 9:25 AM
I spent 2 weeks in Belize, week on Turneffe island, a private island, and a week in the jungle. With both trips we did see a lot of Belize and it would be safe to say you wouldn’t be happy there unless you enjoyed 3rd world existence. I have never been to Honduras but it’s safe to say it’s more than likely the same as Belize. Anything away from a beach or jungle resort would be best if you were in the peace corp.

Roatan is a small island and I have not been there but Latitude is probably correct. The difference being it’s a small island off the mainland built around diving not just living for the masses. Would be the same for Ambergris Cay, but not much else there like Turneffe Island and both are far off the Belize coast. All food is brought in to Turneffe by boat and no medical service except by helicopter for emergency. Belize City does have a hyperbaric chamber. I really don’t know how that many people live in the conditions I seen in Belize City....it’s a crazy place.

However, you would get a lot of diving in if you stayed on Turneffe island for a month, you can walk around the island in 10mins ;)
Subscribed
Marlies-Diveoclock - 3/30/2017 11:34 AM
Hi Tom, thank you so much for your help. Turneffe island seems great, I will have a look for long-term. Lot of practical information, thanks! Marlies
Subscribed
Smithsgold - 4/06/2017 11:31 AM
Good luck looking forward to seeing what you end up doing ...

Jeff
Subscribed
AlexRobinson - 5/25/2017 9:38 AM
I think it would be good idea to go to Belize, I want so much to go there myself, but I can’t manage to do it