Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Ny/nj buddy/questions
Tbird11299 - 3/18/2017 9:21 AM
Category: Buddy Wanted
Replies: 3

Looking for ny or nj spearfishing buddy, me and my gf are getting scuba cert in april so we are looking to spearfish flounder and i dont understand i see a ton of vids of people getting tog in like may when its closed, i want to try it but i leabe for basic for army in july so idk how to get em legally, i dont have a boat
LatitudeAdjustment - 3/18/2017 7:30 PM
I don’t spear but the only beach dive I’ve seen with legal size flounder on a regular basis is north side of Allenhurst Jetty divebuddy.com/divesite.aspx?DiveSiteID=4130
DiverfromBaskingRidge - 3/19/2017 9:46 AM
Spearfishing is a sport you need to keep at - the more you go, the more you learn. NJ is tough because of the visibility. But if you keep at it you can find flounder/fluke and like you said you need to stay in the season. One short fish will cost you about $53 per fish - so it is not worth shooting outside of season or taking shorts - don’t ask how I know... ;-)

If you are shore diving you will be limited by tides, current and wave action. It is much easier to spearfish by boat because you can get in deeper water and find structure for the fish...
Subscribed
BeekeeperGreg - 3/19/2017 1:20 PM
Tyler,
I sent you a friend request.
Send me a phone number and I will talk your ear off.
Carl and I usually bring a spear pole for Fluke and a gun for Tog and Strippers.
I strongly suggest start with a spear pole and mark the legal length on the end.
Poles are safer, I like the travel pole—-only use 2 sections for fluke, 3 for Black Sea Bass.
Fluke most of the time will let you get close enough the measure before you shoot.
Fish look 1/3 larger under water.
The old school rule is unless you say holy shit don’t shoot.
My Wife is much better at spotting fluke than I am.
We will be happy to introduce you to the normal shore dives.

Greg