COZUMEL, and maybe Mahahual, and Xcalak
zen - 3/16/2017 10:04 PM
Category: Buddy Wanted
Replies: 0

I’m driving through Mexico and just arrived in Playa Del Carmen a couple of weeks ago. I plan to dive further down the coast in Mahahual ( home to Chinchorro Bank Biosphere Reserve ) and then Xcalak which I understand is a future World Heritage Site and home to a National Marine Park. I have made contact with the guy who opened the first dive shop in Playa more than 40 years ago and is now in the jungle in Mahahual ( 3 1/2 hrs. south of Playa Del Carmen) He’s directly on the beach and has a modest cabana , 5 minutes from the reefs. I will probably dive there for a week.

I also plan to dive COZUMEL and take my car on the ferry and onto the island but I’m not sure as yet how long I will stay but will probably dive at least 3 to 4 weeks there. I plan on going over and
stay through May, but I’m flexible at the moment on my departure time. I have room for 1 or 2 divers if you want to jump onboard. I also hooked up with a smaller dive operation in Cozumel who is excellent and I dove with them this week. Henry only takes 6 max. and his price points are more reasonable than most. His crew is professional, laid back and they don’t hurry you on bottom times...and did I mention fun?! I will dive with "Salty Endeavors" the entire time I’m in Cozumel... In the meantime, I’m heading for the oldest and highest reef in the Northern Hemisphere as I understand just south of Playa. If anyone has dived either Mahahual or Xcalak, I would like to hear your opinion on the diving there.

Anyone around Playa who might want to drive over to Cozumel for some great diving...drop me a line.

Thanks,
Marcie