Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Recommend dive operations in the Keys?
Seeteufel - 1/28/2017 9:24 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 6

Hi, heading to Islamarada in March. Anyone have suggestions for dive companies?
FtMyersTom - 1/28/2017 10:50 PM
used many times. floridakeysdivectr.com/

If you go there tell them Tom in Ft Myers sent ya
Better yet drop me an email before you go and maybe i’ll catch up with you.

scubatom@gmx.com
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 1/29/2017 7:37 AM
I think if you do a search you’ll find this has been asked before but my choice in that Key is Conch Republic.

If you are going early March let me know when. Ray
Subscribed
Diver_Diva - 1/29/2017 11:05 AM
Right across the road from Conch Republic is Captain Slate’s, which is very good. On Friday he has the "creature feature" dive, don’t miss it. He takes you to a shallow reef and feeds his tame animals, which include a nurse shark, a moray, a barracuda, and others. Great photos.

Next door to Captain Slates is the Creekside Inn, very nice accomodations.
FtMyersTom - 1/29/2017 1:04 PM
I mostly wreck dive and FKDC will do double dips on Spiegel Grove, Duane, Eagle or Bibb or 1 tank on 2 different wrecks. They also offer a 2 day 4 wreck trip called heavy metal with the 4 wrecks I listed. I have not found any dive shop that will do that, not saying others won’t but none that I’m aware of. The cost is more than 2 tank standard wreck/reef trip because more fuel is used if you pick 2 different wrecks far apart. I also have done my only 100ft wall dive in the keys with them on crocker wall. That is a good one to request for a reef dive.

They are also flexible on booking those on any particular day. If you know when you will be there call them up and if you are the 1st to book a trip that day it’s your choice. BUT they will need a minimum of 2 divers to do a trip. So if you and your dive buddy or group wants a custom wreck trip you schedule on any day nothing is booked its yours. Or if you are alone and the 1st to book a trip it’s your choice of reef or wreck. I have dove with a lot of dive shop groups that come down from all over eastern US and Florida to do the wreck trips they offer.

There’s a new dive shop down at the old holiday isl now called the post card inn. Don’t know anything about them. Basically it boils down to what you want wreck/reef. I would say most are equal on reef trips BUT there is a big difference in wreck trips. A lot depends on which dive shop and crew quality for wreck trips. I’ve had wreck dives when it’ been me another diver and the dive master on there 40ft+ newtons.

I’ve had quality trips that are hard to match anywhere else I have been in the keys, except for dive key west diving the Vandenberg that I have logged 9x. I will say those 2 are the best in the keys for wreck diving. A quality that’s hard to find on reef trips. I competed the wreck trek 2x thanks to FKDC and DKW.
FtMyersTom - 1/29/2017 1:59 PM
I wish you could edit replies because I forgot to mention FKDC is the only dive shop, that I am aware of, that has 30% nitrox, usually 32% and on the 100ft+ wrecks I like 30% for the 121ft max for 1.4 po2 as apposed to the 111ft for 32%
Subscribed
sdweller - 9/01/2017 10:39 AM
Florida Keys Dive Center is excellent....they are actually in Tavernier, but very close to Islamorada and worth the short drive. Friendly staff too...

floridakeysdivectr.com/