Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

An Old Divemaster’s Guide to Preventing Seasickness
Smithsgold - 11/04/2014 10:18 AM
Category: Health & Safety
Replies: 3

cadivingnews.com/easydiving/997/An-Old-Divemaster...eventing-Seasickness-

An Old Divemaster’s Guide to Preventing Seasickness

Author : Bruce Watkins
Date : November 16, 2011
There’s an old sailor’s proverb that states, "The only cure for seasickness is to sit on the shady side of an old brick church in the country." While this whimsical advice is entertaining, it does not get at the heart of how serious seasickness may be, and how to prevent it. As to the seriousness, I offer the following true story.

During World War II a friend of mine was ordered to ship from San Francisco to Australia. From the very outset of the journey he was so seasick that it threatened his life. He could not eat or drink and was given intravenous fluids just to keep him alive. His torment continued for weeks. As his ship neared Australia he was informed that an enemy submarine was patrolling the area. This deeply religious man, with unbearable seasickness, actually prayed that the submarine would sink his ship.
Subscribed
Tadpole - 11/05/2014 10:25 AM
Wow. So did he get better?
Subscribed
MDW - 1/25/2015 12:56 PM
I’ve found the best cure for seasickness for me is to get off the boat and under the water. Many is the time I have been fine on the boat the whole trip out, then as soon as they cut the motor and the boat starts rolling in place I feel ill, chum over the rail, strap on my tanks and get down the line. Same thing usually on the surface interval, so I do all I can to make that as short as possible. I wait around at 10’ on the way up until everybody else passes me, then get back aboard last. I try to have my tanks for the second dive already set up so I have no changeover to do and can just sit and relax (i.e. have a second plate wing and regs already on the second tanks) Then when the pool is open for the second dive be one of the first back in and do the long 10’ hang again so the boat is pulling away not long after I’m one of the last ones out. Works for me, but of course if everyone was trying to do the same it would not work out too well.