Place to dive in Cape May
tbarcia - 6/13/2014 2:31 PM
Category: General
Replies: 4

My wife and I want to take out boat out this weekend to do some diving around Cape May, NJ. We’re not looking for wrecks or reefs, we’re just looking to work on our skills and spend more time under the water together.

So my question is if anyone knows where I might find some rocks or a ledge or something interesting to look at while we’re down there?

To make it more interesting, we’re planning to stay in 30-40 feet of water due to boat size and just to make it easier in case something goes wrong.

Thanks for any information!!
Subscribed
gemiller - 6/13/2014 7:38 PM
Sunset beach! Has a concrete ship that’s not intentionally sunk that sticks out of the surface, dive able from shore and normally around 20’ max depth. There is neat smooth quartz that you can recover here too. Dive at slack tide on a decently calm day because it is fairly close to shore.
LatitudeAdjustment - 6/14/2014 6:21 AM
Don’t do that dive if there is any surge, there is rusty rebar sticking out that could get you before you see it given what the viz is.
Subscribed
tbarcia - 6/14/2014 6:48 AM
I’ve heard pros and cons of that dive and while I’m planning to dive off sunset beach, it’ll probably be out where it’s a little deeper. The chart shows a couple places where it drops from 20 to 30 feet that we’ll probably try to explore unless something better comes up.
Subscribed
John_giu - 6/14/2014 1:18 PM
There is a guy with his own boat that takes divers out of cape may for just the cost of splitting the fuel.
He posted an invite on Scubaboard a few years ago. No I can’t tell you his name. I have not dived with him in a year or two. You could search the archives there or.
We went wreck diving on some of the usual wrecks. There is an "artificial reef" of some sort made of concrete.
This diving is not for the faint of heart. Of course you will need at least a bubble watcher, but it’s best to have two dive teams. IMHO.