Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Camera w/Long Battery Life
NewtoScubaHB2 - 11/07/2013 3:04 PM
Category: Photography
Replies: 6

Any comments on a decent underwater camera w/long battery life? Currently have a SeaLife and it seems to eat batteries faster than a bullet flying through butter..... Thinking about a replacement camera for my holiday present.... Not a professional, just a camera that is reasonably decent for fun sharable underwater pictures.
DaveT - 11/07/2013 6:21 PM
I use a coolpix L22 in an ikelite housing. It eats standard AA batteries and I get a lot of time out of one set of batts. I prefer a standard commercial available camera over a dive specific camera. Easier to find a replacement when you flood. The Coolpix series definitely can shoot better pics than I can :)
Agojo - 11/07/2013 7:11 PM
I use a Sealife DC1200 and get 2-3 hours of nearly continuous use and it has a rechargeable battery. Used frequently for the last 2 years with no problems. If you want the best pictures get it with the external strobe or strobes for even better pictures. Also has option for video light. Strobes use rechargeable AA batteries. I had an old Sealife DC310 that the charger for the AA batteries had issues and Sealife replaced it many years ago. Get the rechargeable highest rated mAmh (milli-amphere) batteries you can for longer life.
Subscribed
ScubaCrab - 11/07/2013 9:12 PM
I have a sea life I have seldom used short battery life and too big and bulky. My son loaned me his Go Pro great battery life larger capacity memory and excelent pics and or video! Small enough I want my own and would take it on every dive.
RockRat2008 - 11/08/2013 7:45 AM
I have the same issue with my sealife camera; I had gotten to the point that I just replaced the batteries before every dive with it.

I also used a GoPro Hero 2 and just got a GoPro Hero 3+ so now I just use the two of them exclusively. I use the Hero 3+ to shoot video and hte Hero 2 for still pictures, plus with your video editing software you can pull still pics from your video.

I’ve been diving with a GoPro for the last 2 years and for the money and the quality I would highly recommend a GoPro.
Rich-D-Fish - 11/08/2013 9:31 AM
I’ve owned three different Canon point & shoot cameras, most recently the S95 and the G15. All of them are great on battery usage. I can typically shoot a combo of photos and video over three dives on a trip, all on one battery without running out. In comparison my GoPro usually lasts 1-1/2 dives before running out.
Subscribed
lerpy - 11/08/2013 10:48 AM
I am in agreement with rockrat. I have used a few different underwater cameras, but I have recently gotten a GoPro and the quality of video is awesome, and the ease of use is great. I am currently playing with different methods for mounting it on my gear.