Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Playa del Carmen
HadtoGo - 8/11/2013 5:03 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 6

Will be in PDC Oct 12 to 18th for a friends milestone Birthday festivities. I will setting 1 or 2 days aside for a dive excursion since I have never been there. Any dive referrals or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Subscribed
WarmWaterTurner - 8/12/2013 7:40 AM
When in Playa we use Reef Quest Divers. Steve is the owner and a great operator. As to sites - Tortugas is great for turtles - it is a carpet reef with lots of action - saw a bull there in April. Jardines is a nice site - fantastic at night. If you get a shot at it I would highly recommend a site called Los Arcos. It is a bit north and a deep dive but there is great structure there with large sealife. Also - I would take the gang to Akumal for snorkeling. The last time we were there we saw lots of turtles, squid and a spotted eagle ray. Have fun!
Subscribed
zielit - 8/12/2013 7:58 AM
Don’t forget about cenotes (if you like or want to try cavern diving). Also trip to Cozumel is really worth additional time (and money) especially if it’d include one or more of Palancar dive sites (there are 4 horseshoe, bricks, gardens and caves - not really caves but massive reef formations resembling ones)
joeyro16 - 8/12/2013 9:51 AM
Best team to cavern dive with is Diablo divers, (http://diablodivers.com/) great guys, most experianced.
Subscribed
HadtoGo - 8/12/2013 12:43 PM
Gracias to all for the info
Subscribed
John_giu - 8/13/2013 4:49 PM
OK,

So I was in Cancun (don’t ask, we won the trip to Cancun) and wanted to dive Cozumel. I booked through Scorpio Divers in Cancun who put me with Dive Balam in PDC.

As mentioned above DO NOT miss a chance to dive Cozumel. You will regret it!

The nice thing about diving with Balam is that the boat is in PDC you don;t have to do the ferry and travel to Cozumel.

Here’s my tripAdvisor review:

I booked with Dive Balam through Scorpio Divers in Cancun.
We took the larger boat from Playa to Cozumel, Power with twin 200- horse power four-stroke outboards this boat had plenty of speed to get us out and back in a timely fashion. The one draw-back was the head was not working on the boat.Having established the skill level of everyone on the dive during the pre-dive briefing, the dive master selected The Devil’s Throat as the first dive and a drift dive at Cedral as the second. If you have not done these to dives, treat yourself.The dives were well organized and the dive masters knowledgeable, FRIENDLY and attentive. These guys love to dive. I would not hesitate to recommend this well ran dive operation to a friend. There were eight divers on our trip, and I was told they never dive more than ten, although I think ten might be a bit crowded for my liking.

there are many reviews for Dive Balam on TripAdvisor