Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Dive Gear at Lowes!
K9Sports - 9/07/2012 8:12 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 4

I just found and have been using this storage box that makes a GREAT dive box. It’s a 45 gal storage container with wheels and a locking lid that I found at LOWES home supplies. I think this may be a California store? Not sure.

The only modification I’ve done to it was drill a couple of holes on the bottom to drain any water. But besides that, it hold EVERYTHING I have except for the tank. I could fit a tank in there if it wasn’t my 150cf monster.

I added 2 small locking lid storage box to hold the small things, a wet box and a dry box. And I’m all set!

Instead of paying hundreds for a similar size Pelican, which I admit is MUCH more sturdy, this one is only $30. Here’s the online link;

http://www.lowes.com/pd_314131-61896-314131_0__?productId=3098753&Ntt=45+gal&pl=1&currentURL=&facetInf-+++-o=
Subscribed
RAWalker - 9/07/2012 11:49 PM
I’ve got a similar but more Pelican like solution from Plano. Actually I have 2 of these since my wife also dives. They were at one time airlines approved but the airlines shrank the allowable dimensions and these no longer pass as standard but still make oversized. We used them on a cruise 2 years ago and they were perfect as they hold a full cold water kit plus. These also stack so we were able to get them out of our way in our room both at home and shipboard.

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=486648&kwtid=1309859&pmdgtl=1&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Products%20%2d%20Amazon%20%2d%20SPG&utm_term=plano%20sportsmans%20box&gclid=CJHgofWtpbICFURxQgod3V8ARA

Just a hint about drilling holes for drainage... I prefer the box be sealed and keep my gear moist after diving until I can rinse and hang to dry properly. The reason is that particularly after a salt water dive it is easier to completely rinse clean gear that has stayed wet. As the gear drys salt and other contaminents start to crystalize and once this occurs takes much longer to break down back to solution and rinse away. The longest my gear will sit unrinsed is over night and is either used again the next day or rinsed, dried and stored.
hcdiveteambrian - 9/14/2012 9:15 PM
totally cool!