Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Computer Info.?????
DrMike - 12/28/2007 5:03 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 8

I’m looking to up grad to a new computer and looking for Info. I’m looking at the Uwatec Aladin Smart Tec Hoseless Wrist Air/Nitrox Computer with Transmitter And the Oceanic Atom 2.0 Air Integrated Hoseless Dive Watch What do ya’ll think ???
RAWalker - 12/29/2007 1:16 AM
I have a Oceanic VT3 It`s larger than the Atom 2.0. Aside from the size difference they are very similar. If you`ve not planning on wearing the computer as a watch the size of the VT3 may make for better visibility. Other than that I think the Oceanic computers are a great product. I`m very happy with mine. After logging 6 dives with it I found according to the log the communications between the transmitter and computer lost communications only once and reestablished the within very next logging cycle of 30 seconds (probably a lot less since I never noticed it during the dive) The PC software works well and allows for the addition of a plenty of info to the logs and even adding photos to the PC based logs. The logs can be printed out for addition to your hardcopy logs as well as manually adding dives to the PC logs to have a complete PC log of your dive history.
NWKatShark - 12/29/2007 4:11 PM
Steer clear of the Toshiba Satellite computer. I only broke the surface with it and the keyboard shorted out! When I called their Tech Support, they couldn`t even tell me what the depth rating was on it! Happy New Year! Larry
DiveRex - 12/30/2007 3:29 PM
Larry!!! You have to double bag it man! But you loose wireless capabilities after about 6 inches.
NWKatShark - 12/30/2007 6:21 PM
I had it in a single leather zip satchel. So, one`s not enough? I paid good money for that satchel too! Tech Support did tell me I shouldn`t have disabled the Anti Phishing on it too. What good is a computer if you can`t take it phishing with you underwater. That`s just...stupid! And they told me I shouldn`t have drilled a hole in to to connect a keeper ring. Like I`m supposed to try and hold on to a laptop underwater. Somebody at least needs to develop a mount for them, or something.
SeaMonkey - 12/30/2007 7:10 PM
Hey ya, I`ve been diving with an Oceanic Atom 2.0 now for about one year. I love the simplicity, and the features. The wireless transmission is solid and hasn`t gone weird on me yet. I really like the software Oceanic bundles with their products, it`s very intuitive. I think the VT3 probably is easier to read underwater due to the larger display, but this Atom is great when traveling. No complaints. Medium learning curve on navigating the menu, but reliable. Good luck, Kevin
DiveRex - 12/31/2007 7:34 AM
I can just see a wrist mounted Laptop now Larry! You nut job!!!

Sorry I can`t give you much advise on a hoseless computer Mike. I have a UWATEC Smartcom and it does fine by me.
NWKatShark - 1/11/2008 8:10 PM
Hey Don, you KNOW it`s coming, just a matter of time. Mini 2.5 inch LCD touch screen complete with pencil on a little coil lanyard. Designer colors too. I`m still looking around for a hoseless. I`m no help. (duh).