Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Why $$$$$$$
Anonymous - 5/03/2006 2:25 PM
Category: Anonymous
Replies: 12

OK I have a Harley too so what. The ? here is why is it so expensive to get certified by padi. Everything is seperate when several things could and really should be done at the same dive times. Books, fee`s, cert cards, u name it u pay for it? Why not put some together? Adv & any 2 dive? Any dive & bouyancy? You know, simple stuff!!
Anonymous - 5/04/2006 9:16 AM
when i got my advanced cert, i did my night dive, nav dive, deep dive, search and recovery, advanced bouancy. didn`t cost me extra. all i paid for was the books and the course.
Anonymous - 5/04/2006 9:31 AM
I suppose since they are the largest agency, they feel they must charge the largest price :) But the research they do and the time they put into developing a course can get expensive. As long as I`m getting good training, I don`t mind paying more.
Anonymous - 5/04/2006 9:40 AM
did you know that PADI`s phone number is 800-729-7234. if you change the numbers to letter characters on your phone, that spells 800-PAY-PADI. check it out.
Anonymous - 5/14/2006 1:39 PM
OK, the number is correct and that`s what I learned in my instructor course. However - whether your course is ala carte or all inclusive is totally up to your local dive shop. Some offer a one price option that includes everything. Others allow you to pick and choose to arrive at the final price. If you want a shop that prices it all at once then feel free to shop around and you`ll probably find one.
Anonymous - 5/16/2006 9:06 AM
Point being, why is each & every dive seperate? Why can`t some classes be together? Bouyancy & Nitrox? Nitrox & drift dive? Deep dive & wreck dive? Just to name a few.
Anonymous - 5/23/2006 5:07 PM
And several of the courses require or strongly recommend you own the video along with all the printed material. I suggest they get with the Internet age and start distributing materials electronically via streaming video and eBooks. This will bring down their production cost and in turn lower our fees.
Anonymous - 8/02/2006 8:59 AM
The best training is still the NAUI training less expensive and more comprehensive. I think this makes for much safer divers. Any NAUI divers out there to back me up??
Anonymous - 12/17/2006 8:14 PM
I am NAUI Cert and SSI Continuing education cert. My NAUI is good but I feel it all falls on the instructor. NAUI is the ONLY cert that doesn`t have photo identification on the card. doesn`t belong to the organization and now NAUI is doing on-line training, you never see an instructor until you hit the water. Is that safe??? I was lucky, my NAUI instructor was there from start to finish. I do feel NAUI is going down hill..
Anonymous - 3/01/2007 2:00 AM
so I don`t get the reason to mention haveing a harely when the post was about padi breaking everything into increments and charging $$$$ for it.what`s having a harley got to do with it? I must have missed something.
Anonymous - 3/16/2007 7:00 PM
don`t know what harley has to do with padi. However, there is a reason why it takes money for everything in the padi system, and I will be more then happy to tell you why...but It`s gonna cost ya.!!!!...lmao.
Anonymous - 3/25/2007 3:01 AM
I can answer this question with one acronym definition:

P.A.D.I.= Put Another Dollar In

It`s not just PADI, dive education is becoming more expensive (as is everything else). Carlos Mencia says it best in his Dee Dee Dee video (so they lower the standards). Agencies are trying to make things much easier for OW courses and specialties (so there are more of them), that`s how they make money. The "old dogs" who have been diving since the 60`s and 70`s will tell you that back in their day the education was extensive for diving.
Anonymous - 10/21/2007 8:06 AM
HD = hundred dollors PADI = put another dollor in