Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Recent Dive on Oriskany
DiveLvr - 4/22/2011 9:29 AM
Category: General
Replies: 0

I dove on the Oriskany yesterday (4/21/11). It was my first time there. The 1st 20-35 ft had bad visibility (2-3 ft) but once you decended past that the viz was 40 ft or so. As soon as you broke through the cloudy water layer you could see the island. There was hardly any current at all throught the water column. Water temp on the surface was 72 and at 110ft it was about 67. I dove a 7mm farmer john without the top. The wreck was awesome looking, lit with the slightly tinged and dimished sunlight. The wreck look sort of "spooky". I went down to about 119 ft but most of my time was at 95’. I was diving straight air. There was a tremendous amount of fish, especially large (25"+) amberjack. The surface conditions weren’t so good. 2-3ft seas with a southern wind made the boat rock a good bit, heavily at times. While tied to the wreck and on the boat (a 6 pack) I fought sea sickness most of the time. One of our team was barfing a good bit. All in all, great dive. From the rough boat ride and the deep depths plus me not being used to this type of diving I slept 14 hours when I got home. I’m getting too old for this stuff. However the 4 guys on the boat with me were Marines in their late 20’s and very experienced divers and they looked worn out as well. They did hang a memorial bell (the bell was a scuba tank cut in half with a clapper attached inside) for their friend that died recently from an accidental gun shot. Their friend always wanted to dive the wreck so this was hung in his honor. These were really some tight friends.

Because of the dimished natural lighting, this being my 1st time on the wreck, and wanting to sight see I didn’t try to take any pictures. Next time I go I will try photography.

DiveLvr