Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Why is it that when
slippin2darknezz - 11/10/2010 11:19 AM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 11

Why is it that when you go to a local dive shop and want something they dont have in stock, they act as if it is a hardship on them to try and order it, but get upset when you buy items on line and dont shop with them. I thought the dive shop was there for the customer, not the customer there for them. What gives..
SaintsReturn - 11/10/2010 11:40 AM

I havent run into this to much here in Florida, but i had a situation in Id with this issue. I just went to another shop. they dealt with different brands but still got me what i needed without any issues. When dealing with any person or business, there will be good and bad days depending on thousands of scenerios. One reason people like online shops. I just went to several shops before i found "my LDS" and now its all good.

Switch shops and good luck
Subscribed
slippin2darknezz - 11/10/2010 1:52 PM
When I lived in Florida I never had a problem, unfortunatly being in Mississippi, dive shops are limited..may have to move back to Florida..
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 11/10/2010 2:08 PM

There "was" a small chain of dive shops in NJ that had that attitude. The father had built the business and the kids didn’t want to be bothered ordering stuff even if I gave them plenty of lead time to include it in a stock order so I stopped buying from them.

They broke an SPG on a reg that was in for service and didn’t even offer me a deal on one they had in stock so I stopped using them for service.

Then they got lazy changing the filters on the compressor and I stopped going there for fills or anything else.

Subscribed
AOW_dude - 11/10/2010 11:36 PM
So you’d rather move than try shopping online? Wow.
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 11/11/2010 2:00 PM

From slippin2darknezz: When I lived in Florida I never had a problem, unfortunatly being in Mississippi, dive shops are limited..may have to move back to Florida..

Good excuse as any! Our plan is to become snowbirds and find a place near WPB but then most Floridians don’t dive in the winter because the water is to cold (68) for them.
Subscribed
WarmWaterTurner - 11/11/2010 3:56 PM
Well, the old dilemma rears it ugly head once more....should one feel bad about going elsewhere when the LDS has a limited stock or is hesitant to special order. I used to have loyalty issues until it took almost a month to get 4 AL 80’s on special order. Now I ask my LDS - can you get what I want reasonably quick - if not, free market forces will prevail.
Subscribed
JimmyW - 11/11/2010 7:15 PM
I like to show loyalty to my LSD’s however sometimes you are left with no choice. I am a Technical Diver by most of their standards and if they do not have what I want or give me a hard time about ordering I go directly to the source. Most of the time it is cheaper as well. I am also a PADI AI therefore that makes things difficult from the start.
Subscribed
slippin2darknezz - 11/12/2010 12:58 PM
Actually moving would be a good idea. I miss Florida...lol..any excuse works...
Subscribed
allstarwa - 11/12/2010 7:30 PM
I must admit, I can’t understand, but then I’m spoiled. Given the times our shop doesn’t like to keep inventory so he keeps samples which if you want those he’ll sale. If not bring in the internet site, if they are a licensed dealer he’ll either beat it by 10% or at least match it. When he can’t he’ll say hey it’s a good deal go buy it. He only does it if they are a listed dealer, but it works great for us. I’ll take my business their anytime. Just wish we were closer to the ocean.