Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Cozumel
bubblejack - 1/08/2010 1:29 PM
Category: Health & Safety
Replies: 8

I just came back from a 2 week vacation in Cozumel, dove 20 times with Palancar Diving +1 night dive. In my opinion, safety is not an overriding concern. "Dive masters" (who should really be called guides) barely give a briefing, do not check if people are buddied up, do not ensure everyone has reached the bottom before setting off on the dive, do not ask how people are with their air supply, and so on and so on. Diving groups are not "matched", and an astounding percentage of people are amateurs if not borderline dangerous. They should either have a refresher course or be closely monitored by the dive masters, which is not the case. (However, dive masters Ismael and Lobo are wonderful.) Bring your equipment if you own it. In my 20 dives, I saw 2 cases of high-pressure hoses bursting and one instance of defective air gauges (2 gauges displayed 4,000 psi...). Also, 90% of the masks supplied would leak. Combine all of this with novice divers, dive masters who let people wander off in front of them (or in back, which is even worse) and it makes me think of a disaster waiting to happen. We’ve heard that the casualty rate among Cozumel divers is around 12 people a year. We can understand why. Other than that, dive sites are pretty, coral-wise, but the sea life was disappointing. Very disappointing, particularly given the island’s reputation. I have done a lot of diving on the Mayan Riviera and much prefer it to Cozumel.
Devilfish - 1/09/2010 7:02 AM

I haven’t heard anyone else echo your concerns, other than myself. Wonder why that is. I have only been there once, in 2005, right when I was starting to dive a lot. Pick-ups were a chaotic mess with as many as 10 boats on one site and divers popping up all over the place, many without a sausage or other means of attracting attention from their own dive boat. I also noticed the DMs had no control of their groups. Since I didn’t go down there with a dive buddy I stayed on that DM like white on rice, he always deployed a SMB and since I was with him I never had any problems getting scooped right up by the boat.

I totally agree that drift diving + inattentive DMs + too many boats on a site + questionable rental gear could spell disaster for an inexperienced diver.

scubajoe - 1/11/2010 6:19 AM

I dive Cozumel every year and have not found the problems that you have had. I use Dive With Martin there boats are fast and we are first on the dives spots there dive masters are safe and keep an eye on the divers. Maybe you should try another dive operator, if I wernt happy with my dives there I wouldn,t go back every year.

joe
sandiver - 1/11/2010 6:53 AM

i always dive with scuba club they are great never any problems. ther are many different operaters try some one else ,cozemel is great,
LatitudeAdjustment - 1/11/2010 11:12 AM

I’ve only used Palancar Diving once, I usually use smaller ops and have never had a problem with the guides in Coz (yes they are not DM’s as we know them) but then our group was evenly matched and usually surfaced together.

Can’t comment on rental gear other than I wouldn’t use it from a US based op and certainetly not from a foreign op. Some of the tanks I’ve used were questionable. Best advice, Buy your own gear so you know what to expect!

Next time try Blue XT sea or Chucko diving, both good ops.
sdvrgirl - 1/13/2010 10:44 AM

I dive in Cozumel 3-4 times each year. I dive with Del Mar Aquatics (http://delmaraquatics.com) and Chucho Divers (www.chuchodivers.com) both of which are like family :) It is best if you want more information than they provide just ask, but both almost always give a very thourough breifing and guidance before during and after the dives!

Smithsgold - 1/17/2010 11:51 AM

Went to Cozumel this last Sept. It was super !!!!!! If I was you I’d try a different dive company !!!!! WE dove with Del Mar Aquatics also...

Good luck,

Jeff

MidTennDiver - 1/25/2010 9:34 PM
I dove Cozumel with Aldora Divers and was treated very well, and professionally. They limit themselves to small groups and pay attention to everyone.