Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

San Clemente
geno623 - 6/01/2009 10:36 PM
Category: Books & Videos
Replies: 2

I have signed up for a 3 day liveaboard in September on the Horizon. I would like to get some books/videos/websites that will help me with the kind of aquatic life I will see and anything else that will help me enjoy my dives.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
m_grieco - 6/02/2009 8:28 AM

Check out the website www.reef.org. They have quizzes that can be taken for both California waters as well as tropical eastern-Pacific waters (both would probably include species you’d see) and the quizzes show "general" species that will be scene. Take them a few times (they usually are not the same quiz twice) so you’ll get to learn a few so the more common fish. Also, they do have a photo gallery as well we good desciptions of the fish species you may encounter. Also, leisurepro has a book for sale that would probably be a good fish ID book for the Baja region (not sure if you’re doing the Channel Islands or Baja)...but the link is Reef Fish Identification - Baja to Panama. Hope that helps.

Mike
LatitudeAdjustment - 6/02/2009 2:03 PM

That’s a nice time to be going but dress warm, it’s still cold on the bottom and bring along Polartech for the SI.

You’ll want to brush up on your nudi’s too, there are a lot of them there.

I noticed last night that most of the channel island dive sites are not listed, I’m going to go thru my divelog and start adding some this week.