Called the Black Panther because of the rubber tiles that covered the hull and conning tower in an attempt to hide it from sonar. This wreck is usually but not always burried up to the tower in mud. See dive site map at http://www.lakediver.com/black-panther.html
On 29 June 1985, the wreck of U-1105 was discovered by a team of sport divers led by Uwe Lovas, approximately one mile west of Piney Point, Maryland, at
WikiMiniAtlas38°08′10″N 76°33′10″W / 38.13611°N 76.55278°W / 38.13611; -76.55278Coordinates
: 38°08′10″N 76°33′10″W / 38.13611°N 76.55278°W / 38.13611; -76.55278
. In November 1994, it was designated as Maryland’s first historic shipwreck preserve. The program, the first of its kind in the state, was designed to promote the preservation of historic shipwreck sites while making them accessible to the general public.
At the wreck site, the conning tower rises to within 68 feet of the surface. The wood covered main deck fore and aft of the conning tower is occasionally exposed by the drifting silt beds. The wreck is well preserved, and largely intact. Seasonally, thick layers of marine growth appear and then disappear on the site, often covering structural features. Between April and December, a large blue and white mooring buoy is anchored about 70 feet from the wreck, while a small, orange ball float is anchored to the stump of the forward (air-search) periscope.
The site is maintained for the Maryland Historical Trust by the Institute of Maritime History, and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001.
http://www.uboat.net/boats/u1105.htm History of boat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Bd4OcWl1OI Video of dive