Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Dive Computer Question - Air Integrated?
GeorgiaGirl - 5/28/2013 11:40 AM
Category: New Diver Q&A
Replies: 13

I’m looking at computers and am just getting confused! I’m looking at the Wisdom 2. How valuable is it to have air intergration? I’m thinking I’ll take the guess work out of everything and I certainly need all the help I can get. I don’t want to put more than about $600 into a computer right now. It’s got to be fairly easy to use and its a must that I be able to see it clearly because I’m getting old!
Any advice will be appreciated.
Subscribed
Greg - 5/28/2013 11:54 AM
I have the Wisdom 2. It’s a great dive computer. Big display, quick disconnect, compass, air integrated. I don’t use all the features of the dive computer, but it’s easy-to-use for my purposes (ie: how long can I safely remain underwater). I would highly recommend an air integrated dive computer. It adds so much more data to your dive profile and provides a more accurate calculation. For example, a diver that breathes fast will not be able to stay down as long as a diver that breathes nice slow breathes. The battery compartment also makes it easy to replace the battery, just use a quarter to open/close it. If you ever change a dive computer battery yourself, be sure to lube the o-ring with some silicone and tighten down the lid very well.
Subscribed
WarmWaterTurner - 5/28/2013 12:23 PM
I love air integration. I run two computers - both are AI. My wife runs two computers - they too are AI. The ONLY time I do not use AI is when tech diving - but I am about at change that to add AI also.
Subscribed
GeorgiaGirl - 5/28/2013 1:51 PM
Thank you for the replies! Can you tell me what advantage the Wisdom 3 has over the 2? Is it worth the extra money?
Subscribed
Greg - 5/28/2013 2:06 PM
The Wisdom 3 has newer software features (full-time access to NDL regardless of ATR, Dive Time Remaining on main screen and when in Dive Mode you can see your available dive time whether limited by ATR or NDL). Plus the Wisdom 3 has more memory to store dive profiles.

I personally would not pay the extra money for these features, but if you want to store more data on your dive computer and you like the new software upgrades, then it might be for you.

Plus it’s the latest model...and the latest model on anything is always better right? :) Just kidding.
Subscribed
GeorgiaGirl - 5/28/2013 5:55 PM
Ok, so I’ve decided to go with the Wisdom 2. Hubby says I’m fixing to develop paralysis by analysis. LOL
Thanks so much or your input!
Subscribed
Peter-EH-NJ - 9/25/2013 9:50 PM
Dearest, Not sure if you have purchased your AIR INTEGRATED dive computer or chose to go with the WRIST dive computer. There seems to be so many choices. From above, it seems you were planning to take on that decision, and go with the dive computer that tracks AIR in its logbook. Great choice. The above model, and any other dive computer has a logbook that can or should be downloadable onto a laptop/desktop computer, using proper software. You can check that. Just ask if there is a USB downloadable option. Just imagine that! Hassel free way to keep track of your dive experience. Make sure you INITIALIZE your dive computer, and set it accordingly for different AIR and WATER element. This way, you can take advantage of the dive computer tracking as you progress from DIVE #1 to DIVE #50, and going forward. All the metrics ( your data stored on the dive computer - from PSI used, depth TEMP, depth FEET, dive time, SIT time, etc. ) are extremely valuable indicators of your scuba diving performance. Of course, the dive computer can become your "buddy" as it beeps during your dive ( as you program it for warning signals.) Later, as you get better, your metrics will improve, and the computer will show that improvement. Imagine that! Yes, newer models of dive computers also allow charts to be displayed on your laptop/desktop. Funny? No way! Charts are great tools to learn about your dive performance. Also, the AIR INTEGRATED dive computer will add premium comfort in collecting these data points while you enjoy your diving experience. At least, it did for me. I think if I started with a SPG in which I needed to jot down data oh, what a mess I would have made. First of all, remembering what was the starting PSI, how much SIT time between dives, and so on. Remembering data from a dive just takes away from the fun. Then, also being responsible to write such numbers down with wet hands, possibly with a wet pen or pencil. Not at all fun. Not at all a scuba vacation. Right? Of course, there are other data items you can add to your laptop/desktop logbook, once your dive has been downloaded. Things like - WEIGHT BELT pounds used, WET SUIT thickness, VISABILITY, etc. These are not at all paralysis by analysis metrics, nor was your question. I wondered the same things myself, in basic scuba. Dah!! I would like to add, if you get an AIR INTEGRATED dive computer, check if there is a setting for NITROX air. It will not be long for scuba enthusiasts like you to take the Nitrox course, become certified in this new form of breathing, and start programing it into your dive computer. So, rather than just having a dive computer that measures Ambient air, get one with Nitrox, too. In doing so, your dive computer will stay useful for you longer. You will not be exchanging it after just one year or two, for the next model. And, that is the real question. Let us face it ... How long will your dive computer last before you need an upgrade? Hum? At what point in time will you out grow this AIR INTEGRATED dive computer? No paralysis here. No such thing as a stupid question. Pete Raft
Subscribed
ScubaCrab - 9/26/2013 4:47 AM
Just me KISS. Keep it simple stupid. All this teknowledgy sound’s tempting but I do not like adding more failure points. My last wreck dive my divebuddy almost had to call her dive because her computer would not recognize any air pressure on a full tank! Must be simple to operate allso. When I started diving there were a few thing’s I had a proplem remembering how to set up in my computer and nobody on the boat could help because dive computer’s seem to not all work the same. I stated with a watch and my dive tables. Then bought a computer when I learned more and could make a better decision on what was right for me. When I puchased a computer It gave me a back up if there was a failure, problems learning my compuer or forgeting to program air, nitrox, sea or fresh water etc. Currently dive with dive table’s and a watch with 2 computers for redundent back up. As tecknowlegy improve’s I may get eventualy get air intragrated but allway’s have backup incase of failure. Currently 7 years since I took my open water. Now Wreck penetration certified considering tecnical training.
Newest iw not allway’s the best or safest!
Subscribed
DiveBuddyChgo - 9/26/2013 7:57 AM
If you are diving recreational limits with the standard 80 cu/ft of air and less then 100ft depths. No you don’t need the A.I. You just need the cheapest computer that shows your nitrogen loading.
tshark - 9/27/2013 8:37 AM
go with the wisdom 2
Subscribed
Brian_V - 10/04/2013 3:50 PM
GeorgiaGirl: "How valuable is it to have air intergration?"

You know what I like about having an air integrated computer, you can make adjustments in the middle of your dive to get the most out of that particular dive!

Say you’re in Fiji diving on a Bommie, the plan is to keep the dive to no more than 60 minutes, but at only 20 minutes into the dive your computer is telling you that at your current air usage rate your dive will be over in just 20 more minutes. You were really hoping to get in the full 60 minutes that is planned for this dive since this bommie is just covered in gorgeous soft corals and thousands of beautiful fish! So all you have to do to get the full 60 minutes is ascend up the bommie a bit until that number changes from 20 minutes remaining to 40 minutes remaining! Viola! It’s that easy!

You don’t have to make any calculations or guesses about how the current PSI in your tank will equate to bottom time, the computer does that for you!

Hey, you travel ALL the way to Fiji to make these dives, so you want to get every second of bottom time that you can!
Subscribed
ScubaCrab - 10/19/2013 5:26 AM
To each his own. I like to keep it simple! A gauge for psi, simple computer watching nitrogen, which you will run out of air on shallow dives OW before nitrogen. Computer is even optional on shallow dives as for you will run out of air fist. A watch and tables are cheaper and you can save the money for more dives, gear or trips.
Subscribed
rashley - 2/12/2014 7:26 PM
I am an air hog and even on dives of less than 100 ft. many times my air consumption limits my bottom time before my nitrogen accumulation does. With my AI computer I receive the remaining time based on whichever factor is going to end my dive first. I like it but as some have said, "to each his own". Speaking strictly for myself I prefer AI.