Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Florida Dive Trip
cjp1018 - 11/08/2020 1:26 AM
Category: Travel
Replies: 8

Am planning a dive trip down the peninsula from the pan handle. Looking to hit all the good spots, think maybe 11 dive sites over 21 days.

Will be traveling with my RV with my dad, looking to meet people on the way down or back.

Ginnie Springs, Devil’s Den, Blue Grotto, Rainbow River, Crystal River, Venice, Biscayne NP, Kay Largo (Pennekamp SP), Dry Tortugas NP, Miami, West Palm Beach.

If anyone has any tips, wants to meet up for a dive at any of the locations, or wants to split a charter to any of them (especially Biscayne NP where it appears you can only take a private charter to), let me know.

Do not plan to out dive my skills, which are growing with every day I get into the water.
LatitudeAdjustment - 11/08/2020 8:24 AM
Most of those sites can be done with an Rv If you are members of Harvest Host there is a manatee tour in Crystal River where you can spend the night. I have a moochdocking site in Homosassa :) Getting a site in KL will be a challenge. You don’t say how big your rig is but driving it into KW to do the Tortugas could be a real problem. We spend the winter about an hour drive west of BHB

divebuddy.com/members/1/pic_10844_87156.jpg

Biscayne NP has some beautiful dives but the last time we were there the park concession was only doing snorkel trips :(
Subscribed
cjp1018 - 11/08/2020 6:32 PM
I have a baby 24 foot class C. Would definitely be interested in taking you up on your offer in Homosassa. I will let you know when I get started.

Never any issues with Key West travel before. This will be my second time down the peninsula in the RV.

I have heard of HH however, never used it. Sites down south are always a challenge, so improvisation is always key.

I’m sure some of this may change especially in the Keys following the hurricane coming through.
Thanks,
LatitudeAdjustment - 11/09/2020 8:49 AM
Nice try, but that moochdocking in Homosassa is my sons driveway and the HOA has it’s limits :)

I’ve seen RV’s wandering thru KW looking for two parking spots together to park. When the Spree was sailing out of KW (Stock Island) at least they had a parking lot big enough for an RV Their captain has a class A

Harvest Host is a yearly membership, I think it’s still $49 and you get access to one night boondocking at museums, farm markets, wineries, farms and there is even a shops driveway in KW that your 24’ would fit in. For an additional fee you get golf courses. Unfortunately in FL the HH locations don’t seem to be near any of the diving :(

If you are doing BHB there is plenty of RV space west of the boat trailer parking
Subscribed
cjp1018 - 11/09/2020 6:42 PM
What is this BHB? Lol
LatitudeAdjustment - 11/10/2020 7:47 AM
From cjp1018: What is this BHB? Lol

Blue Heron Bridge near West Palm Beach is probably the best shore dive in Florida, it’s a nursery for everything you might see on the reefs. Under the east span are the gobies, in the shallows between it and the snorkel trail are the octopus.
The snorkel trail has arrow crabs and schooling fish.
The west span has the bigger fish.
Like any inlet it needs to be done at slack high tide for best viz
Pura Vida and Force E dive shops schedule evening dives there, you would need to stop in, sign a release to get the night parking permit, no it’s not overnite parking for the RV :(
Subscribed
cjp1018 - 11/10/2020 11:40 AM
That sounds great, I did not see that while doing research! Thanks for the tip!
Subscribed
cjp1018 - 11/10/2020 11:41 AM
I did however have Pura Vida on my list of Dive Shops to check out!
Subscribed
cjp1018 - 11/19/2020 12:41 PM
Diving the Blue Heron Bridge this weekend if anyone is interested.. It will be me and my dad.. Have an RV so we can grill out after!