Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Scuba Cylinder handling
DiveBuddyChgo - 9/28/2013 6:30 AM
Category: Survey
Replies: 15

Unpaid divers who just hang around the dive shop asking and who are used by the local dive shop to move/load cylinders. Are they also required to have formal documented function specific training the same as paid employees. Legally do they have to be HAZMAT cert’d to handle scuba cylinders over 900 psi. I will have the answer posted after a few weeks. Have fun searching and learning. If you have the correct answer with the written proof. I’ll let you know.
DaveT - 11/07/2013 6:27 PM
[Choose #1] 49 CFR applies to Hazmat, not commercial or non commercial activities. Compressed air is Hazmat.
DiveBuddyChgo - 10/11/2013 7:31 PM
[Choose #1] The answer is YES ! US Code of Regulations Title 49cfr 171.8 Legally you are an employee of a dive shop even if your not being paid. You are an employee when you are being used to help a dive shop even without pay.
WB2GLP - 10/02/2013 9:37 AM
[Choose #1]
RockRat2008 - 9/30/2013 5:29 AM
[Choose #1] 5th bullet point down addresses this specifically.
joec1 - 9/29/2013 5:55 PM
[Choose #2] I would say yes only if commercial, and if they were filling tanks. If they are just moving tanks, then I would say no. I know that when I rent tanks as a diver I can carry them and transport them and I am not Hazmat certified.
Greg - 9/28/2013 2:46 PM
[Choose #1] Looks like it’s mainly regulated if the activity is considered "commercial" or business: